Sign in to follow this  
Nartano

One led of death!

Guest erico
Sure' date=' but according to the leds it passes the ram check.

Also, the stick I tried works flawlessy on my previous rig.

Looks like it is time to play with your DRAM settings. Don't chase your tail on this.. Start with a single stick of DDRAM in the DDR1 or DDR2. slot.[/quote']

Would love to, if the blessed motherboard would let me see anything on my monitor and let me into the bios.

I'm already trying with a single stick (tccd chip) on the DDR2 slot.

Of course I'm doing all my attempts without the soundcard, just cpu, 1 stick of ram and vga.

Unfortunately I don't have another pci-e board nor another vga card around, will hopefully get to see a friend of mine these days and make different tests.

OK..Now perhaps it is time to do ExRoadies Long CMOS Clear procedure(See link at bottom of my SIG. The trick is to do it with one stick of DRAM. If you have some other DRAM that worked for you on another board try it in DDR1 or DDR2 slot. Sometime the long clear needs as much as 8-24 hours to bring a MOBO back to life.

:)

I'm going to ask this because it affected my board, and some others that managed to skip a step like I initially did. As shown in the NF4 Initial Build Guide, it is essential to install only 1 stick of memory, boot into BIOS, load optimum, save, reboot, enter your correct settings in the BIOS, including memory timings, save, reboot, and then after it boots into Windows the first time you can turn it off and insert the second stick. Make sure your rig is unplugged from the wall, as inserting or removing RAM modules while the mobo has power has fried the modules (not every time, but enough that it got its 15 minutes of fame!). I can't tell you how many problems not using 1 stick initially caused me. Hours of headaches, to make it short. Try the Guide to the letter, it should help. GL!

Guest erico
I'm going to ask this because it affected my board, and some others that managed to skip a step like I initially did. As shown in the NF4 Initial Build Guide, it is essential to install only 1 stick of memory, boot into BIOS, load optimum, save, reboot, enter your correct settings in the BIOS, including memory timings, save, reboot, and then after it boots into Windows the first time you can turn it off and insert the second stick. Make sure your rig is unplugged from the wall, as inserting or removing RAM modules while the mobo has power has fried the modules (not every time, but enough that it got its 15 minutes of fame!). I can't tell you how many problems not using 1 stick initially caused me. Hours of headaches, to make it short. Try the Guide to the letter, it should help. GL!

Amen...I have been trying to tell him that again and again..Perhaps with more than one person giving him the same advice he will listen and try it.

Amen...I have been trying to tell him that again and again..Perhaps with more than one person giving him the same advice he will listen and try it.

Guys, I thought I stated it clearly enough:

I'm doing all my attempts with just ONE stick of g.skill ram into slot DDR n°2 (orange one, near the edge of the board).

Of course the stick, when put into my old rig, works flawlessly.

Maybe I should modify the sign ;)

Needless to say, I've installed enough rigs since I was 16 to go through the boring process of unplugging the system from the wall each time :nod:

As for the bios settings, I still haven't been lucky enough to get to see the bios (or even have my monitor acknoledge it has a pc attached!).

I can't get the system to start the POST process, as it gets stuck with that last damn led on! :mad:

Left the pc under "hyper long" clear and it's been like that since yesterday evening. Will try again tonight after almost 36 hours :sweat:

Guest erico

OK..we are on the same page then.

I am fighting with my 4200+ X2 to try to get it to 2.7 GHZ or higher. It is frustrating, but fun.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas to you

Hello,

What happens if you take the gfx card out and power the pc?

(all 4 power connectors must be in the board and memory in orange slots)

Yeah, Nartano, don't take offense. We're just making sure the bases are covered, because the long-time gurus and Moderators here have taken the time to lay out exactly what works with these DFI boards. Just because something works on any other board made does not mean it will automatically work on DFI. I give mad props to the mods who have suffered the same questions again and again :P Anyways, try this: put in the RAM that you know works, and set up the RAM timings to work for your new memory which currently won't boot. Then, after you've saved this, stick your single 1GB stick in the far orange slot (like you've been doing) and try it since the memory timings (including secondary timings) will already be set. Will it work? Dunno. Is there a better chance it will work since it will already have all the timings set? Hell yeah. Then after you get it to boot with the single stick, try both. You can always try booting with the sticks in the yellow slots too, Praz told me it's likely the orange slots will work better, but it all depends on your personal build and parts. Good luck!

Hello,

What happens if you take the gfx card out and power the pc?

(all 4 power connectors must be in the board and memory in orange slots)

Hey, must have found it!

Just tried to power the rig without the vga card, and I get the same damn response: last led on and a long beep!

Hope it doesn't mean the vga card is fried as I paid it quite an helluva of money! :confused:

Well you'll still have it on warranty which is a good thing. I am having the exact same problem except I am getting just one regular beep its not a long one. I should be receiving my board back from RMA sometime next weekend or shortly after so I'll let you know how it goes even though it sounds our problems are slightly different.