Conroe IHS removal guide

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read an article about Intel IHS removal before... And the person pulled the die off 2 or 3 chips while trying to do it... Never did it properly either... The pics didn't work and something about carpet blades... The translation left me more confused than I was before I started reading it ;)

I thought that Intel soldered their IHS'. No more using a bit of thermal paste and adhesive to attach the IHS. AMD seems to be doing the same thing with the AM2 from reading XS. Over there some guy trying to remove the IHS of a FX62, ripped the cpu die off with the IHS! Ruined a perfectly good and expensive cpu. Pretty much a waste of money IMO for very little cooling return. I know I'll be contradicted on that one, but I just don't see removing the IHS. Go to phase cooling if you want to clock that hard.

The Google translation is pretty pathetic. The original German version is actually very thorough and well photographed as well. Provided that there would be a noticeable improvement in performance; this is the way to go.

@Gipse:

Grüße nach Hannover

I read it on some forum.

They took a vice and placed the chip in it, and heated the top till the bottom popped off..

Half the times the core comes off with the IHS.. bye bye expensive chip. If I had a Conroe, I wouldn't do it for sure. Not worth it for the risks involved IMO.

Some guys over at XS have removed the IHS on their Core 2's. They did was cut the adhesive around the edges of the IHS, then wedged a razorblade in each corner, so that you can feel resistance, like youre bending the IHS up at each corner. You heat the IHS for a breif second and try to pop it off... if its not coming off with minimal effort, heat it some more.

Some guy suspendedhis using the razorblades using some bricks so that the IHS was pointing down and the contacts were up, heated the IHS, and it just popped off. It works, you can get it off, you just have to be more careful. There are also some electronic bits real close to the adhesive, so you have to be careful when youre cutting the adhesive.

If the IHS is soldered you won't get nearly as much performance gain from removing it than if it were simply pasted on. If a regular IHS removal got you five degrees, this might give you one or two. The failure rate of removing a soldered IHS is around 90%.

If you're into it, go ahead, but I wouldn't do it.

Does anyone know if AMD soldered any of their Socket 939 IHSs on?