Sign in to follow this  
Smitty2k1

Upgrading s939 to dual core?

Hey guys,

With holiday money coming in, I was thinking of upgrading my SLI-DR to have a dual core CPU. I saw there are very few selections left for s939 dual core.

I don't need anything extreme and want to stay as cheap as possible so I'm thinking of one of these two:

AMD X2 s939 4400+ Toledo

2.2GHz 2x1MB cache

2000MHz HT

OR

AMD Opteron x939 170 Denmark

2.0GHz 2x1MB cache

1000MHz HT

What are the strengths and weaknesses of each CPU compared to one another? I don't overclock my system which is used for SOME gaming and is used as a media storage center which distributes music/movies/recorded tv shows to my roomates over our router. In the future it will probably be doing a lot of CD/DVD backups and encoding/decoding video files for storage. Oh yeah my computer runs 24/7 but I assume most every computer does now a days.

Thanks for your input!

Patrick

is there any reason you dont want to OC? I mean the performance would be nuts say 2.8 vs 2.0 on the 170

I just went for a 170 and I'm impressed. Was converting a divx movie to dvd while playing COD2. Enough said, other than they clock like mad.

DFI LanpartyUT nF4 Ultra-D (11/14/05)

AMD Opteron 170 (280 x 10)

2x Pqi Turbo 1gb pc3200 (200mhz)

Asus x1900xt

Seasonic S12+ 650w

Onboard audio

160gb WD SATAII

Samsung DVD +/- RW

Laing D5/MCW6000/Maze4/

'77 LTD single pass dual heater core.

I'm waiting for the " get a 165 opteron they clock like mad" post.:rolleyes:

OP is not going to overclock, so it's all moot. get the 4400+ and enjoy.

The 4400 will be a bit easier to OC with the higher multiplier.

I've gotten some really high overclocks with both and in all honesty the 4400 is just a bit easier on the less technically inclined.

Plus, DFI does not "officially" support the Opteron line which should make your decision just a bit easier.

4x512MB Corsair Value Select (Dual channel running DDR333)

GL overclocking that.

Yeah too bad 4 sticks in 4 slots can't run at the intended speed. Wish I would've known that when I bought the board. But anyways, I like my PC quiet, it does what I want as is, no overclock. I use AMD C'n'Q and a fan controller... CPU fan spins 1% of the time. Also, my chipset fan died so I took the fan off and left it as is, chipset runs at 61°C. I'm buying a passive 7600gt when they come out with HDCP. As of now, all the blow holes on my computer blow cool air pretty much even under load.

I guess I'll go with the 4400+.

Also, my chipset fan died so I took the fan off and left it as is, chipset runs at 61°C.

I highly suggest getting the Evercool VC-RE chipset fan. It is quiet and will keep you from screwing up your motherboard.

I highly suggest getting the Evercool VC-RE chipset fan. It is quiet and will keep you from screwing up your motherboard.

I was thinking about getting it, but my case already sounds like a vacuum cleaner. My CPU even has C'n'Q enabled and the Zalman CPU cooler with 120mm fan doesn't even spin unless under 100% load. It must be the SLi 6600gt's and 3 case fans that are causing all the nosie. The HDDs are inaudible as well. My rig is slowly being transformed into a HTPC so noise is an issue.

the VC-RE is a very quiet fan especially when compared to the stock fan. It's a worthwile investment.

Sign in to follow this