Dual core more useful than people claim

aelfwyne

I debated long and hard before upgrading my single core to dual core. My system was fast enough. I rarely do video encoding (if ever), and gaming honestly does not benefit much yet from dual core, especially the games I play...

Yet, I discovered that it really DOES make an impact on my computer usage.

Besides the usual computer-snappiness, it has made my work easier. I have a work-at-home job that involves editing documents in a javascript application within my browser. A full editor comes up on one half of the screen, and an image of the source document comes up on the other half. All edits are tracked and checked by a very complicated javascript system.

On my old system, the interface would frequently freeze, often when selecting text, or applying formatting. Freezes would last from 5 to 10 seconds. Even when it didn't freeze, the javascript was sluggish. This is with FireFox since IE isn't supported, due to the lack of several key features.

On dual core, however, the interface is extraordinarily snappy. Somehow, whatever the holdup was in Firefox, is alleviated by having multithreaded capabilities. While the javascript itself obviously is not going to be multithreaded, somehow firefox doesn't get hung in whatever wait state it used to on the single core. Additionally, the tons of elements load and render much quicker on-screen...

I have heard people say that you don't need anything more than a celeron for "web browsing".... Well, that isn't necessarily true if you're running web applications (that aren't particularly well programmed) for your job. It really CAN make a difference.

I always advocate dual-core cpu's for the simple fact that we aren't always playing a game. We tend to surf the web, do IM, email, listen to music, watch vids/YouTube, burn cd/dvd's, transfer crap to iPods, print documents, edit videos, edit music, etc.

And we are rarely ever doing any one of these things at once.

If I needed a cpu core for every task that I was doing (just me, not what Windows needs for tasking), I would probably need an 8-core cpu on my slow days, a 16-core cpu when I got a lot of crap going on at once on the computer ;)

I can only dream of the day when there's a core for each process in the task manager. :D

One thing I noticed with dual core CPUs, is that the CPU, and RAM, are no longer the bottleneck, but bottlenecks are still there. If I do a task that involves writing to the hard disk, I don't get the full 100/150/300 MBps the interface provides. 50 MBps transferring from one HD to another is a realistic estimate, and writing to the HD does cripple other apps if you're writing full speed. Even if the CPU is being used 7%. A lot of the things I do don't kill the CPU anymore, but still slow down the computer due to HD usage.

Even if I'm only doing one thing, dual core is very useful. If I need to reencode 1500 songs from FLAC to vorbis because my PMP went on fire(happened recently :)), I can encode 750 songs on core 1, and 750 songs on core 2. This used to take me six hours with 1000 songs on the 2.4 GHz venice 3000+, now it takes two and a half hours, with 500 more songs on the 3.6 core 2 duo. The adding of cores is IMO the best advancements, because in a month's time, you can get 2x the performance out of your CPU in certain applications.

only problem really is that software is about 10 years behind hardware right now

but thankfully amd and intel have forced the software industry to move forward properly as you just won't be seeing single-core cpu's after 2007 that I'm aware of...and since we've hit Moore's law's BRICK wall (cpu mhz on current wafer/lithograph technology), instead of scaling cpu speed up, we can now scale cpu efficiency (ie multiple cores handling a single task or multiple cores handling multiple tasks).

Maybe by 2008 or 2009 we'll get something cool like Half Life 3 that was built with only 64-bit multiple cpu's and multiple gpu's in mind.

If not, there's always the Xbox 720 or PS4 or Nintendo Jiggawatt or whatever stupid name Nintendo comes up with next.

Any games that are out right now that support Dual Core other than Quake 4 patched. I wanted to open a thread about this but since i've noticed this thread i'll just post here and hopefully others will follow. Thank you....

Guest LookBackX2

I regularly run two accounts of World of Warcraft at once with my current system.

That is while using Vent and listening to Radio Paradise thru WinAmp.

I LOVE THIS COMPUTER@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just thought ya'll might want to know that.