Sign in to follow this  
infocalypse1

New build won't post, hope its PSU

After running a DFI based machine happily for 2 years, I am putting an SLI machine together (unit 2 in sig). I've got it assembled (minimal config) but can't get it to post. Symptoms: When power is turned on, standby light comes on. When power switch is pressed, mem LED lights, and all 4 red LEDs come on. No fans start anywhere. Tried the usual steps (disconnected everything possible to get minimal setup, discharged CMOS, all 3 power points connected). I thought I had gotten a sufficient PSU, but suspect it's too weak, so am waiting for a relacement (OCZ 700W). From what I've read on this forum, that looks likely. Any other ideas? (I would suspect the MPU connection, except no fan power whatsoever).

After running a DFI based machine happily for 2 years, I am putting an SLI machine together (unit 2 in sig). I've got it assembled (minimal config) but can't get it to post. Symptoms: When power is turned on, standby light comes on. When power switch is pressed, mem LED lights, and all 4 red LEDs come on. No fans start anywhere. Tried the usual steps (disconnected everything possible to get minimal setup, discharged CMOS, all 3 power points connected). I thought I had gotten a sufficient PSU, but suspect it's too weak, so am waiting for a relacement (OCZ 700W). From what I've read on this forum, that looks likely. Any other ideas? (I would suspect the MPU connection, except no fan power whatsoever).

I had this same exact symptoms when I built my system. It was my off brand memory that I was using. You can try installing 1 stick or try differant memory. I could still be some thing else causing the problem. You also said that you have all 3 power points connected. Unless the newer board has changed, there should be 4 power points to connect.

CPU is new, Newegg had a bundle on CPU and Mobo. Did not see any problems inserting it and adding heatsink/fan. After testing effects of new PSU, next step is to reseat CPU and heatsink. Right now I have only one stick of DRAM in first orange slot. Haven't tried swapping out other stick or putting another brand.

Just to make sure we are talking about the expert board correct? Jid187 the expert only has 3 power connectors. The 1 stick of ram will only work in the slot furthest away from the cpu. This is the slot to use to do your minimum build start up. Your above post says first orange slot . So depending on if your counting from the edge of the board then the first second from the cpu. Try a long CMOS clear link under sig, and the ram in the slot closest to the edge of the board.

After pulling the Antec PSU and replacing it w/ the OCZ, the machine booted up fine. Both sticks of memory were OK, and are installed. While waiting for the new PSU to arrive I did some more research. Looks like Antec HEs have a lot of problems, especially with the nForce4 chipset. DFI and Asus boards seem to have the highest incidence of complaints. One online survey ( ) indicated that >40% of users experienced failures, dead PSUs or failure to post.

Folks on this board know their stuff. Thanks to all who posted suggestions and comments.

Just one final thought for people that read this later (if any ;o)... one stick should always be in the furthest ORANGE slot from the cpu. It _may_ work in the furthest yellow - but this is not guaranteed and is BIOS dependant...