Sign in to follow this  
MidnightUT

Internet stops after a few minutes...

Great suggestions all around!

I've swapped out cat5 cables both between the wall and my computer, as well as between the patch panel and the switch, no change.

I've got concurrent half connections set to 2048, with 120 second timeouts. I can move that up to a max of 4096, but supposedly things get a bit unstable if you use the max, so I'd probably move it up to ~3000 if I notice 2048 to not be enough. So far I haven't used much more than about 500 at once under normal heavy browsing. I've got a Linksys WRT54G v3.1 running DD-WRT v23 SP2. When I use p2p I use uTorrent. The problem happens whether I run uTorrent or not, although it does seem to happen a bit faster if I've got it running (by about 5 minutes or so, but thats pretty subjective).

In any case after yesterdays upgrade to v23 of DD-WRT I was only able to use the computer for about 10-15 minutes, and it didn't mess up. So I'm hopeful that this fixed the problem. However, its gone that long before, not often but it has so I'm not completely sure the problem is fixed. I'll do a lot more testing tonight.

Thanks for everyone's help! My sanity appreciates it.

-Mid

Guest erico

Hi.. does your connection quit on your other systems as well?

Have you tried running it direct to your IP router

I could have missed it, but have not seen it posted what kind of Internet service you have. Is it ADSL or Cable or a modem or satellite?

When I lived in Texas and had ComCast cable. I had irritating nternet connection drops had to have the ADSL modem replaced, at the Cable company technician's request, to cure the problem.

Have you gone online to your ISP's website to look at their LOG to see if they are having problems?

You can double-click your internet connection to visually see if the connection is fast enough.

Check your internet connection speed online

Are you getting the Up/Down speed you are paying for?

If your connection drops on all your systems...consider finding another ISP.

Paying for the (basic) cheapest possible internet connection speed gets you exactly what you are experiencing. It really is a case of "you get what you pay for". Go online and look at the other forums and you will see that is so.

If all above is okay then it is time for the next step...

Fire up your RIG

open a browser..Firefox, IE6/7 or whatever is your preference

in the address bar type up type in http://192.168.1.1 or just click on what I have listed as the router IP address..

web_interface.gif

you are now using the web interface to access your router..

It is a good idea to have a manual at hand or printed out from www.linksys.com

if you never set the router up when you bought it...well, now is time to do it.. follow the instructions in the manual closely

Don't always think it is a problem with your computer

I would most certainly check everything external first if my NIC showed power and activity LEDs flickering happily,and I still had a problem

Hey Erico,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using Time Warner Roadrunner. I've got a good strong connection, with downloads in the 6-7Mbps range, although my upload is crap as its capped at 384kbps.

I haven't tried bypassing the router and directly connecting to the cable modem yet. I thought about this last night as I was upgrading the firmware on my router. If I am still having problems tonight when I test things out, I'll be sure to try this.

So far though when I start having problems on the computer, the rest of the computers in my house still work perfectly. Granted all I did was open a browser to make sure I could get to google okay. Next time it happens I'll preform more extensive tests on the functionality of my other computers. If updating the firmware on my router didn't work, and hooking it up directly to the modem fails, I'll try using a Knoppix DVD or some other Linux LiveCD/DVD and see if I have problems under linux, if not that'll point to a software issue under windows.

Again, thanks to everyone and hopefully this thread can help someone in the future once we get things resolved.

-Mid

Try setting the maximum number of concurrent half-open connections to 500 or less. I've never had to use more and it works fine. Also check your p2p software's settings, what do you have it set at?

Yeah, what do you use this box for? How fast is your internet connection downstream/upstream? You seem to have that setting set far, far too high for any normal usage... I'd be thinking of even lower than @reelfiles suggested - remember that the default to increase it to is only 50 - so by setting it as high as you are you might be flooding your router/connection..

That's what I am thinking, maybe the router is closing it's connection, trying to block a DOS attack. 500 should be ok, and might be necessary if he's using BitTorrent.

Guest erico
Hey Erico,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using Time Warner Roadrunner. I've got a good strong connection, with downloads in the 6-7Mbps range, although my upload is crap as its capped at 384kbps.

I haven't tried bypassing the router and directly connecting to the cable modem yet. I thought about this last night as I was upgrading the firmware on my router. If I am still having problems tonight when I test things out, I'll be sure to try this.

So far though when I start having problems on the computer, the rest of the computers in my house still work perfectly. Granted all I did was open a browser to make sure I could get to google okay. Next time it happens I'll preform more extensive tests on the functionality of my other computers. If updating the firmware on my router didn't work, and hooking it up directly to the modem fails, I'll try using a Knoppix DVD or some other Linux LiveCD/DVD and see if I have problems under linux, if not that'll point to a software issue under windows.

Again, thanks to everyone and hopefully this thread can help someone in the future once we get things resolved.

-Mid

Wow.. Now that is what I call an internet connection..

Well ,you know you are of course limited by your choice of a wireless NIC.. So you will have 54 or 108 MB/s and that isn't bad at all.. I believe you will find that the problem is either in your wireless NIC setup or your router setup..Of the two I would look closely at the Router web interface...Once I straightened mine out I had no problems..

Doesn't your router have the easy setup button on the front of it? Mine does and it made life simple for me once I read the instructions carefully and used it. Your router might easily be disallowing the outbound connections from your problem system..

In the router wireless security setup you can set up a MAC list to ensure that outbound connections are allowed on only your systems. You will need the MAC address from each of your systems to build a list in your router's firewall and then allow 24 hour access to the allowed MAC list.

Well...have fun.. It ain't easy, but it is worth it. MTU=1500 and half open connections you can take care of later. That is the easy stuff

Have fun!

:)

Thanks to everyone that helped. I tested things extensively last night and didn't have any problems! So the solution was to upgrade to the latest version of the firmware for my router.

I have no idea why I never had problems before I reformatted my computer, it could have just been coincidence, it could have been something in the newer ethernet drivers didn't like the old router firmware, it could have been something just got corrupt in the router firmware and even reinstalling the old could have fixed it. Who knows, I'm just glad to have things working normally again.

Thanks again to everyone who offered help and suggestions!

-Mid