Sign in to follow this  
MidnightUT

Internet stops after a few minutes...

I've been trying to figure this out for a few days, I've had no luck so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I recently reformatted my computer and did a clean install of XP Pro. Completely up to patch, latest Chipset drivers (6.86, SMBus & Ethernet drivers only), latest nVidia graphics drivers, latest Realtek drivers, etc. Here is my problem...

After I boot it up everything works normally, but after 5-20 minutes of use the internet stops working. As in Firefox, Internet Explorer etc all give your typical "This page cannot be displayed" error. However ping and tracert still work. I can still connect to my other computers over the network. My other computers can all still access the internet perfectly fine, just internet browsing stops.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, I've tried using both the nvidia ethernet port and the marvell one, both suffer the same problem. In fact if I use the nvidia one until it stops, I can switch the cat5 over to the marvell one and it starts working for another 5-20 minutes then dies as well. I've tried flushing the dns, releasing and renewing the IP address. I've tried the WinsockXPFix. Nothing seems to help. I had no problems before I reformatted, but now its driving me crazy.

I've searched the forums and Google and haven't found any solutions to this problem, and only a few other people that seem to be having the exact same symptoms.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Mid

G'day MidnightUT.

I had a similar problem several months ago, until I put a valid Proxy Server in my Lan setting.

Continual looking up address 1.0.0.0 errors and waiting for nothing.

Ping would work. I could use the net for a short period then it would just get 'lost'.

I dunno if this is your problem, but it worked for me.

I put my ISP's Proxy Server settings into

• M$ IE
  • Tools
  • Internet Options
  • Connections
  • Lan Settings
  • Use a Proxy Server for your LAN
  • Put in your ISP's Proxy Server Settings

And all was forgiven ! :)

I have to disable the Proxy Server, to access my Broadband Modem.

When I forget to re-enable the Poxy Server, it works for a while, then I can't even get Google's main page ! :(

I hope your problem is as simple as mine was...:)

HotGasAxe

Make sure that the cable isn't lose on the router's end, or try another cable but you probably did that already. Assign static IPs to all machines, make sure that they are all in the same workgroup.

Did you run any internet "optimization" apps? I advise against using these, the results can vary from slightly better to a lot worse and aren't worth it in my opinion.

Thanks to all the replies. Some good suggestions that I hadn't thought to try.

Next time it dies I'll put in proxy settings to see if it starts working. I'd prefer not to use this as a long term solution, I'd rather find a fix that lets my computer just behave normally. But it will be good to know if it works or not, and hopefully it'll narrow things down further.

My IP is statically assigned to my computer through DHCP by my router (Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT .22). I havn't tried manually assigning this ip to my computer. Good idea though, I'll give it a try.

I also haven't installed any nonstandard software. Just drivers, firefox, speedfan, a game or two, and Windows patches. No optimizers, no Nvidia firewall, tried with Windows firewall on and off no change.

I'll report back if any of these fix my problems. Thanks already!

-Mid

Manually assigning my computer its IP address did not fix the problem. The internet still stopped working after a few minutes.

I also tried reverting to the 6.66 Nvidia chipset drivers from the DFI website, but no change in behavior.

However I have found that once the internet stops working if I unplug the cat5 from the switch, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in everything starts working again for another short period of time. I'll continue tinkering and see if I can find a solution.

Thanks again,

-Mid

tried with Windows firewall on and off no change...

snip

Manually assigning my computer its IP address did not fix the problem. The internet still stopped working after a few minutes.....

However I have found that once the internet stops working if I unplug the cat5 from the switch, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in everything starts working again for another short period of time.....

Thanks again,

-Mid

Gidday again,

I know Bill G is a god to some people, so I try to be careful about what I say in public, about his M$ software...:rolleyes:

Like a lot of people, I have found a lot of his M$ software to be unsatisfactory, especially with regards to Internet security...

A "bucket" that has holes in it, will still leak, even if you put bandaids on the leaks ! ;)

Personally, I have found Zonelab's Zonealarm Pro to be a much better firewall than most others out there...

In fact, I have been using Zonealarm, purchased, for over 5 years now.

I am not saying it is the best, ;) , I am just saying that it suits my Business/Home purposes. :nod:

Now, apart from the firewall...

I have looked up the Router and the DD-WRT Homepage.

I am curious about the IP lease time you have set for your rig?

I'm in the process of downloading the DD-WRT 2.2 R2 to see what it says..

Not much, although I now know about the changes up to 2.2 R2.

Are you aware, that DD-WRT is up to v2.3 SP2, and expects to release v24 before Xmas?

The Changelog of DD-WRT v2.3 SP2 fixed some bugs that might interest you...

One of the fixes, in DD-WRT v2.3SP2 is, and I quote:

"dhcp leases can be stored in a persistant space"

Although it wouldn't explain why your other rigs are working.

Unless they have "Forever Leases", and your "new" setup only has a Short lease, each time it gets an IP address.

I'm trying to be part of the solution, not part of the problem...:angel:

HotGasAxe

Thanks again for the responses.

I've been keeping an eye on the event viewer from the beginning and nothing that could/should be relevant to my problems. I also forgot to mention earlier I installed the EventID 4226 patch as part of my normal routine, but I was actually having the problem before I got around to installing it so it was not a cause nor a fix.

As far as firewalls go I don't run one typically. I keep my boxes good and secure, and on top of that I'm behind a NAT router which is as good enough for me. I just turned on the Windows firewall the other day out of desperation for something to "magically" work.

HotGaxAxe, Thanks for your thoroughness! Great minds must think alike. About the only thing I hadn't messed with was my router, other than rebooting it etc. I figured it was time to revisit DD-WRT v23, I tried back when v23 SP1 had just been released and it was very unstable for me so I reverted back to v22 which was a bit flakey now and again but stable for the most part. In any case I went through the hassle of upgrading to v23 SP2 and getting all my settings and tweaks reconfigured, and so far I must say it doesn't have the stability issues of the first releases of v23. I hope it continues to be solid because its got a lot to offer over v22. I haven't had a chance to see if it fixes my problem yet or not as I've been busy getting ready for the upcoming work week. I'll report back when I know more.

And to further clarify, my DHCP leases are assigned to my computers by MAC address and the lease times are set to "forever" so my box always has the same IP address. Even if not I shut it down every day, so its typically only on for 6-10 hours at a time.

Also I've got my IP Filter settings set to 2048 maximum ports, and 120 second TCP and UDP lease times. Version 23 has a nice way to monitor the number of open ports so if I start getting close to 2048 I'll bump it up some.

Thanks again!

-Mid

When certain MS updates are installed, it will overwrite the TCPIP.SYS file. If you have installed any updates, you may need to reapply the 4226 patch...?

What did you change the concurrent half-open connections too?

Which p2p app do you use, and does it happen from a cold boot with that app never started?

What kind of router do you have and is it able to block DOS attacks?