Woeful Tales of a Faulty USB controller

About 8 months ago, I bought and pieced together the rig in my signature.

I found the stock settings for my memory over at bleeding edge, and gained enthusiasm about the infinite possibilities that come with overclocking a DFI.

So, when I got her up and running and installing windows without a hitch, I was pretty excited. However, pain would soon follow.

It started with Service Pack 2. My MSDN windows disk didn't have SP2 already on it, so I had to download it. Let me stress that everything was working fine without service pack 2 (note here: this means no USB 2.0).

When I installed SP2, everything worked fine for weeks. Until one day I connected a flash drive to the USB ports. I got the message: 'this device could perform faster'. So, I smacked my forehead, said duh, and uninstalled the USB controllers from the device manager.

Upon restart, I got a hang. After the black windows load screen (with the green scrolling bar) the system would stop loading, and freeze. Same thing if I reloaded from last known good configuration, and safe mode would hang on load too at the file mup.sys. So, I reformatted and reinstalled XP, SAME THING.

So I slipstreamed SP2 into the install disk. Same thing.

So finally, after several posts/threads on the subject here at the forum, and everyone crying OS error, I decided to simply live with USB1.1 and not worry about it.

I convinced myself that I simply had bad USB luck, and was destined to suffer painstakingly slow transfer rates.

I ran that for about 6 months. Fine. Then, I decided to pick back up the Counter-Strike and pulled my old headset out of the closet. Naturally, it required USB 2.0; so that pissed me off pretty badly.

I got the brilliant idea to buy a pci usb card, and see what happens with that.

I bought this $9.99 possible POC, just to see.

The other day, I shut down the rig, switched off the PSU, opened the case, plugged the card in, switched 'er on and restarted. She fired up, windows installed the normal SP2 USB drivers, and I restarted. I knew this was the moment of truth.

Sure enough, it restarted fine, and my headset, as well as my flash stick, worked superbly.

So if you've gotten this far, you probably have enough patience, time, and interest to explain this phenomenon to me. Before you start crying "OMG you noob, its your PSU DUH!!!" let me say this: "i know, i know, Im getting one from my girl for xmas/hanukkah." but then, give me a REAL explanation as to why this card runs 8 (four in the back, 2 internal, and 2 on the header) USB ports with no problem; and I cant even get windows to run with USB 2.0 enabled.

It seems to me very unlikely that this is an OS error. Frankly, I don't have enough knowledge about USB and whatnot to assess the likely culprits for such a strange series of events. Is it a bad USB controller on the mobo? if so RMA?

or is it something else?

Can't see your sig because the link is broken.

But here goes.

The onboard USB gets it's primary power from the 5V rail of the PSU through the ATX connector.

The PCI card USB gets it's primary power from the 5V rail of the PSU through the 4pin Floppy power connection.

Just a thought since whacky USB issues are sometimes related to power issues like a lame PSU or not having all three power connections made up on an Expert board.

The motherboard could be fooked up too.

hey! sig is fixed.

thanks as always exroadie for the useful and educational info. I do have all power connectors in, and have 'hard tested' my rails with 5% (within spec) results.

I'm not going to be one of the people who say: "nope, not PSU. NEXT" I understand that my wimpy li'l SP500 is a wuss bag compared to a GXS 700. and I'm working on correcting that.

Until then, what would you say the odds are that I'm dealing with a bad motherboard, and not PSU.

Again, is it possible for a USB controller to be dysfunctional without any other symptoms?

it's the board, it's the board...it is always the board...rma the board...email rma at dfiweb dot com and set up rma then you will know...one way or the other.

RGone...:confused:

rgone, perhaps i missed the hilarity in this comment due to the vague hint of possible sarcasm. after several readings, still not sure if it's there. please clarify.

no wonder people around here get so pissed all the time.

anyway, my questions from two posts ago still remain...

Not sure I see any hilarity in what I posted either...some things strike some as funny and not another person...guess that is always the situation when writing where many may see.

Personally I would have never posted this anyway >> NF4 Expert - Woeful Tales of a Faulty USB controller << because you had already done this >> I bought this $9.99 possible POC, just to see. << and a few lines/paragraphs later you say you have working Usb.

That would have told me all I needed to know. Bad Usb on board. Rma the board if you have the time and have to have the Usb of the board to work. In fact as far as I know that is the cheapest and quickest check of Usb since Usb diagnosis requires a plug in dongle to check and is more than ~$10.00 and the diagnostic dongle will not give you Usb in the end but only check it.

So you actually had diagnosed your problem...had implemented a fix and all that you need to do is figure out if you want to rma and go thru the procedure based on time money and effort vs the ~$10.00 fix already implemented. That part I cannot answer. I have over time when working on computers put add in cards to fix IDE controllers since that was cheaper and quicker based on time and money to rma...also used to buy cheap Usb card like you did when dealing with some Via Usb chipset boards.

Not much else to say really...rma if you wish...that is about it.

RGone...:confused:

Edit: been awhile since I did a search for Usb diagnostics and there seems to be a claim now of some diagnostic software that will check usb...but it still looks simpler to use a cheap add in card to verify Usb, because some of the caveats of the software are >> needs working Usb 2.0 device...so would need a working Usb device anyway...and another tester is described pricey but indespensable. Not sure any newer methods are much better than replace and test with cheap Usb card has been upstaged by any newly released Usb testing. End Edit.

rgone, perhaps i missed the hilarity in this comment due to the vague hint of possible sarcasm. after several readings, still not sure if it's there. please clarify.

no wonder people around here get so pissed all the time.

anyway, my questions from two posts ago still remain...