What am I missing?

Running 8800GTS in SLI on an expert, with a Opty 170.

@ stock getting 85K in Aquamark03. I know I should be getting MUCH HIGHER.............fresh install of XP and all drivers. Nothing running other then just the bare nessecities.

Anyone have advice, suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

If the Opty is running at stock, then it's KILLING the cards performance. With my 170 at 3.0GHz (and 1 8800gtx), I'm getting 120-130k in Aquamark, but if I drop the Opty to stock, I only get aroung 80-85k. Stock, or low clocked AMD chips are no good with these new cards.

yup, your CPU is severly bottlenecking that card i'm afraid. There have been a few threads on this on other forums but afair, for the 8800GTX anyway, they needed to run a C2D at 3.8Ghz or more to stop it from bottlenecking the gfx cards in 3dmark06 tests

Yep, throwing high power new tech at old tech legacy is sometimes not a good idea. Can be a real waste of money.

RGone...:confused:

yup, your CPU is severly bottlenecking that card i'm afraid. There have been a few threads on this on other forums but afair, for the 8800GTX anyway, they needed to run a C2D at 3.8Ghz or more to stop it from bottlenecking the gfx cards in 3dmark06 tests

Well I will OC and I am aware of the bottleneck issues but I can't afford to move to C2d but I have been thinking about it. I know I could get a decent over 3GHz OC and my scores would go through the roof as well if I can mount my G5 on a intel board and a C2d then it would be water cooled as well as the GTss'

Alas the kink in all our wants is the almighty $$$$$