Bios report sub zero cpu core temp !!!

I have this board for several month (rev AE) with stock hsf connected

on the motherboard.

3 days ago my pc just froze , not responding anymore so i suspected

a temperature problem which prove to be the problem.The HSF was very hot

and the fan was not working anymore .

After 30 min of cooling i restarted the pc, went into the bios and to my surprise the cpu showed a temperature of (- 2) loll minus 2 degree

so, no wonder the board automatically shut the fan off as the bios recorded

such a low temp. I reflashed the bios with march 06 , same thing

I have no clue but it is quite clear something broke in the temp monitor circuitry. Now i am using anothe fan header to feed the HSF because the cpu header is now useless.

Can a 70 degree ( for maybe 5 minutes)could have damaged the cpu ?

anyone had a similar problem ?

You first need to go to your user cp and create a sig like you agreed to when you joined. Being that this is a support forum we need to know your system specs. Once you have done this you will recieve help. Everyone here generaly disables cool and quite in their bios and runs the fan full time. Not knowing how long or how hot your system got is definatley a problem if your system is reporting sub zero temps then you certainly might have fried something. This is the first I have heard of bios reporting a sub zero temp. on air. If the heat sink was HOT to the touch you could have definetly hurt your cpu.

Most don't use fan headers on the mobo, most use fan controllers or just wire the fans straight to the psu......less strain on the mobo if you don't use the fan headers on the board.....

In theory (70 degree for 5 mins) should not have damaged your cpu, if you have tested and its running fine i.e no problems (apart from the temp in the bios) then you should be okay,,,,,,,as for the bios, if you have flashed it, and cleared it properly after flash loaded optimised defaults all that stuff and your still getting the same then it might be time for RMA...

Logan

I was more or less basing my thought on the fact he realy didn't knoe how long or how hot it got he said the gearsink was very hot and the fan wasn't working either way if he had a sucessful flash and the cpu is working then the only way to know if their was any damage is by overclock ability or how long it will last.

yes i did check by overclocking the processor

to a bit over 2600 Mhz and tested with occt 4 hours and all

seemed ok.

Five minutes of overheathing is only a guess but it was approximatively this long.

I had Coretemp running and remember it stopped at 71 celsius afterwhat windows stopped responding completely.

Probably the cpu auto stopped even if i disabled the treshold temp shutdown

in the bios. (My english is what it can be as i am french from Quebec..)

I guess i will not use this fan header and use a direct connection to the power supply in the future

Its not very reassuring though especially for overclockers to have a failing hardware monitor .

I contacted DFI and they gave me a rma # but since the board work well otherwise + the fact that i need my pc i do not think i will go through the trouble of shipping and waiting et all this.

One thing is quite sure , its not bios related as i tried 2 other roms with same results.

And for the signature , its strange because i made one but almost at the same time i posted so maybe its the reason it is not showing