Sign in to follow this  
Triton.se

Opteron 165 (2x1MB) vs 3700+ San Diego (1x1MB)

if you are looking to save a few bucks, go with the single core 3700+, but for les than $160, the opty 165 is a great dual core option

I was going to suggest selling your current rig (minus your gfx) to fund the C2D but it was just a suggestion. Since your not interested in that I would suggest selling your 7900gt and grabbing an 8800/new psu rather then getting a new cpu since from what Ive read your mostly a gamer and you dont do much multi-tasking right?

dont you think i havent calculated them all...c2d, mobo, ddr2, 8800gts, psu=heck of money...my saviour is, IF DUALCORE 2.8-2.9 with current rig, would improve heavy games like CoD2, FEAR,BF2142, R6Vegas

all ppl talk about is !" antivirus + surf = super"...noooby

, low tech

if you are looking to save a few bucks, go with the single core 3700+, but for les than $160, the opty 165 is a great dual core option

thx, but i alreqady have the WORLD's BEST SINGLE CORE CPU: San Diego...

feed me..you who upgraded from Sandy to Opty...i SUSPECT hearing a 5% increase in general fps, Mhz/Mhz....as I guess opy wont oc 2.9/but 2.7) , i actuallly LOOSE all my money...and get slower performance...whats wron gwith ppl??+ surf + doodle? omg..

Hey man your completely right dual core suxxors and we all eat noobcakes for breakfast and have no idea what were talking about. You seem to have already decided ahead of time that you don't want to go dual core so don't.

What an ironic post, I was just debating this exact topic earlier today with a fellow at work. :sweat:

I currently own both a 3700+ San Diego KACAE 0604MPMW and Opteron 165 CCB1E 0608MPMW (and have owned a CCBBE 0610DPMW), and wanted to add my 2 cents.

While I agree that the Opteron's are faster for multitasking, as outlined by the other people who have posted here, I think this is somewhat of a misnomer to say this categorically. I only notice the true power of the second core when running one or more cpu-intensive applications, and trying to do other, often normal tasks at the same time. For example, it's most noticeable for me when doing things like encoding DivX discs and DVDs, ripping CDs in iTunes and rendering video in Premiere - at the same time as doing something like web surfing. In these cases, the computer doesn't get "stupid" while the other task is running in the background.

However most of the time I'm not doing these kind of things at the same time, and am more often running things like Word, Excel and Opera simultaneously. I also run a very streamlined install of Windows (~12 running processes), so I've never really had an issue with consuming system resources to any great extent.

I will also say that while it is not a common occurrence, the 3200MHz overclock of my 3700+ (here and here) is still absolute king and outperforms the Opteron in all games. Clock for clock, benchmarks run faster by a few % points with the Opty, but I don't see the big advantage if your primary concern is gaming. Plus it is far easier to get a Sandy to 3GHz than an Opty, and requires less expensive cooling.

The last thing I will say is that I have noticed a huge increase in performance with dual core processors under Vista, and to a lesser extent under Windows 64. These OSs seems to be better coded to take advantage of the second core than XP. So if they are on your hit list for an upgrade, a Dual core CPU might just be a good investment.

Personally, I would jump on the dual core wagon now, while Opterons and X2 chips are still available (and very reasonably priced), and wait for the prices to fall on C2D and DDR2 based setups. While the fantastic performance of C2D is tempting, the cost is still astronomical, and there are sure to be improvements motherboards before long.

Peace

feed me..you who upgraded from Sandy to Opty...i SUSPECT hearing a 5% increase in general fps, Mhz/Mhz....as I guess opy wont oc 2.9/but 2.7) , i actuallly LOOSE all my money...and get slower performance...whats wron gwith ppl??+ surf + doodle? omg..

great attitude, best of luck

great attitude, best of luck

seriously.. you just pretty much said crap dual cores, my sandy will kick the dual-core's butt, all of you are wrong wrong wrong.

your attitude about trying to learn stuff is pretty crappy, specially if you challenge ppl to prove what they say when it's true. you think that everything you think is right.

LOOK, heres my personal experience with upgrading from a 3700+ @2.915ghz to an opteron 165 @2.844ghz. Besides the huge perfomance increase in multi tasking, and tasks such as video encoding, I didnt see much performance increase in games that only use 1 core. HOWEVER, I did see a performance increase in games that are optimized for dual core. Another reason to go dual for gaming, is that most new games coming out have dual core support, and pretty soon all games will have dual core support. So you can stick with your beloved 3700+, but I can almost guarantee you that you will have to upgrade to dual core within the next few months or else your cpu will be obsolete, gaming included.

P.S. These people go outta their way to try and help you, so would it hurt to be a bit kinder? Also, if you dont want to believe anything we tell you, then why do you ask for our opinions in the first place?

Guest BFG

Single core processors are on the way out but there is no need for a dual core cpu for ONLY gaming. I just upgraded to c2d because

A. It hands down dominates.

B. My e6600 was only $298 with a motherboard

I don't know where this myth about core 2 duos being expensive is coming from. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819115004

$224 for an e6400. Just sell your current ram, motherboard, and cpu work, a little bit and get a better cpu. Stop trying to tell everyone that "zomg dual core is teh suckz" because its not. I understand that your a "hardkore g4m3r" but dual core will help with normal mainstream life applications in the future. So... lets have a recap.

If 2 or more of these apply to you get a dual core. If 4 or more apply get a core 2 duo

A. You want better general performance.

B. Improved multitasking

C. Being ready for future applications

D. Dual core processor that destroys your San Diego (c2d)

E. Increased e-penis.

P.S.

My GGG San Diego runs just fine for everything I use it for. I wasn't going to upgrade so soon, but my motherboard is dying so I was sorta forced into it. That having been said I WAS NOT PLANNING ON UPGRADING so really its up to you. I am sure I will like the performance difference when I swap out my components. Will you? You decide. Stop arguing. This is people giving you advice. Take it for what its worth.

Sign in to follow this