Sign in to follow this  
Triton.se

Opteron 165 (2x1MB) vs 3700+ San Diego (1x1MB)

What are the titles ? I know of none sofar. Anyone post numbers etc, fps vs 1 and 2 cores.

ofcourse, sooner or later all tasking goes thru multi cores. but I haven't seen ONE word revealing games capable of multi core/tasking.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent is Dual Core optimized.

Guest caffeinejunkie
Splinter Cell: Double Agent is Dual Core optimized.

The new source engine is also going to be multi-threaded.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably also choose an Opty. But some of them can be pretty finicky to run on some desktop motherboards, so I layed down the bills for the X2.

I'm really super happy with my current rig, but also considering the switch to C2D just to stay up on the latest trends. A necessary evil since it is part of my life-blood :)

At least thats what I tell the Mrs. It's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Dual core all the way. I love playing games and running peer-to-peer along with the firewall, anti-virus et al. Does it affect performance all this? Not enough that I notice or care. As to overclocking the opterons - a lot depends on the stepping but 2.4/2.5 seems to be the worst I've seen for a 165 (1.8)

Not to discourage your 4800 ideas, but the 165 Opty is a much better bang for the buck, with double the L2 cache, and nearly guaranteed to equal the 4800's overclock. Especially with your PC4000, the 9x multiplier will work well achieving a high OC.

you misunderstood me. what I meant was: even the half size L2 cpus (wavspot's 4800) perform well enough.

Well... I'll decide later today if it's gonna be a 165

Guest caffeinejunkie
you misunderstood me. what I meant was: even the half size L2 cpus (wavspot's 4800) perform well enough.

Well... I'll decide later today if it's gonna be a 165

4800s have 2x1mb just like the opties

Look at all the benchmarks on the major game sites (sharky extreme, aandtec, tomshardware) at games with the same motherboard, yet chaning from single-core to dual core. Weither or not the games are coded to take full advantage of both cores, it is completely undeniable that dual cores run single-threaded applications better than single-core processors do.

Also look at it from an upgrade stand point, Why go single-core and replace it in a year or 2 when all the latest programs are for multi-core. Just get a dual core now, and run everything that's out today faster than single core, and be ready for the software of the future.

All who got Opteron 165, 170, 175, 180 all say. "get it!" - why?????????????????????????

they say. "whooooow"..!winamp + antivirus" - thats it??? thats why io leave 2,9Ghz single vs unknown (or 2.7ghz) opteron??

- this is the main "upgrade reason"..the whoooooo

i wanna see FEW persons saying (few9 games ran 10-20% faster..if i cants see that in this forum, ....u know

Theres not really a point in waiting any longer for dual core. Now is probably the best time to upgrade.

Look at all the benchmarks on the major game sites (sharky extreme, aandtec, tomshardware) at games with the same motherboard, yet chaning from single-core to dual core. Weither or not the games are coded to take full advantage of both cores, it is completely undeniable that dual cores run single-threaded applications better than single-core processors do.

Also look at it from an upgrade stand point, Why go single-core and replace it in a year or 2 when all the latest programs are for multi-core. Just get a dual core now, and run everything that's out today faster than single core, and be ready for the software of the future.

why dont you post, or, SHOW them here? Sofar Ive heard of 4 games taking advantage of Opteron (dual)..HL2/CSS come lateer 2007

that YOUR reason I SHOULD swap single vs dual????

Theres not really a point in waiting any longer for dual core. Now is probably the best time to upgrade.

yes, makes me happy, thx for posting

re: "Now is probably the best time to upgrade."

yes, 11x200 (175) is same priced as Sandy 3700 10 months ago...the fastest,cheapest way to get dual...but.will opteron @2.7 improve general gaming ??????????? I say: no...we need 2.9ghz..or close enough..windows itself might take few.

Sign in to follow this