Sign in to follow this  
Triton.se

Opteron 165 (2x1MB) vs 3700+ San Diego (1x1MB)

Anyone upgraded from San Diego cpu to dual core Opteron 165 (or simlilar) ??? Dual cores improve gaming, or is it still "MHz is King" in this area ?

The 165 CPU is very cheap atm, thats why I'm interested, if it fails oc'ing and stops at 2,4Ghz, no sweat...make it a server or something.

I reckon the 165 can be oc'd 2,7GHz with slightly increased volts and 50ish C temps, how would it compare to Sandy @ 2,87GHz ?

My Sandy has been running 2870MHz stable for months @ 1,46v and 42C gaming, prime95 brings it to 45C.

Current RAM can't reach 250 FSB with my cpu, limit at around 248 MHz (trust me, tested all settings)

Well it depends.

If you do ANY sort of multi-tasking, i.e. listening to Music whilst playing games, run more than one program at a time (ha), then go Dual Core.

Apparently, it makes all the difference in the World.

No, I don't upgrade for multi-processes (Winamp + Gaming + Defrag + Scanning viruses). When I play games, it's gaming only :)

I DO know dual cores do well in compressing files/video editing etc, where both cores apparently are used...but for games ? 2,7GHz < 2,87GHz

Well, some games are already taking advantages of multi core CPUs....it`s just a matter of time until all the new games becomes multi-threaded...

Well, some games are already taking advantages of multi core CPUs....it`s just a matter of time until all the new games becomes multi-threaded...

What are the titles ? I know of none sofar. Anyone post numbers etc, fps vs 1 and 2 cores.

ofcourse, sooner or later all tasking goes thru multi cores. but I haven't seen ONE word revealing games capable of multi core/tasking.

I had an FX-55 San Diego, I got it up to roughly 2930-2940MHz stably depending on the multiplier. Now that I learned more about my memory clocks from CPDMF, I believe it might be possible for me to get it to 3GHz (270+x11). However, I got a 165 CCBBE 0615EPMW and so far have gotten it stable at [email protected] (320x9). With water cooling, I am sure it would hit 3GHz just like a large percentage of 165s. That said, there is absolutely no comparison between the two CPUs- I can have both cores 100% loaded with Prime and still surf the internet lightning fast, no lag. The 165 also did a 2-pass encoding in about 12 minutes, where it took the FX-55 almost 57. So yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, get the 165 over your Sandy. You will love it even if you only get it to FX-60 speeds. I too was skeptical at first, but now that I have experienced the goodness of dual-core Opterons I am actually buying another 165 instead of just using the FX in my backup rig. As far as your direct question, you will likely get close enough to your Sandy that there will be a minimal difference in frame rates. With future patches and other enhancements, there is no doubt the dual-core will be faster.

Guest caffeinejunkie

I went from a 3700+ @ 3013mhz to a 3800x2 @ 2.65ghz and I can honestly say I'll never go back. I multi task alot and actually use a few multi-threaded prgrams on a daily basis so I saw a good jump in performance. However if you dont multi-task that much and are mainly a gamer then you wont see a huge performance jump. Yes I know multi-threaded games are on the way and some are even out but theres still not enough to merit a DC upgrade especially since theres no point in upgrading old gen hardware when you have something like C2D out. I say if your really set on DC then start saving up for a C2D rig because even a 165 @ 3ghz wont begin to touch a mildly overclocked C2D setup.

Went from 3700 San Diego overclocked @ 2.86ghz to X2 4800 overclocked @ 2.75ghz.

While the Sandies were awesome processors in their day, they don't hold a candle to the Optys or X2's. You will see and feel a difference in most everything you do.

In my case both FEAR and BF2 achieve higher framerates with the X2 than they did with the San Diego - even though the code in them isn't written to take advantage of multi-threading.

I'm sure some of the advantage comes from offloading some of the background processes onto the other core - or splitting the load between the two.

Go dual, and you'll never go back.

Thx for the last good replies.

Ofcourse, íf I had older rig with, say old A63 3200, single channel mem etc, I would do the complete change to c2d...but now I have great stuff inside case.

No...c2d 2.4GHz is not yet interesting due to overall cost (or more specificly: what to do with old OC stuff? give to mom as surf pc..lol) ..no, for my NEXT RIG I expect next gen Intel or AMD, 8900GT or similar.

but i read 4800 does good job oc'd..that is 2x512kB cpu

Not to discourage your 4800 ideas, but the 165 Opty is a much better bang for the buck, with double the L2 cache, and nearly guaranteed to equal the 4800's overclock. Especially with your PC4000, the 9x multiplier will work well achieving a high OC.

Guest caffeinejunkie
No...c2d 2.4GHz is not yet interesting due to overall cost (or more specificly: what to do with old OC stuff? give to mom as surf pc..lol) ..no, for my NEXT RIG I expect next gen Intel or AMD, 8900GT or similar.

I was going to suggest selling your current rig (minus your gfx) to fund the C2D but it was just a suggestion. Since your not interested in that I would suggest selling your 7900gt and grabbing an 8800/new psu rather then getting a new cpu since from what Ive read your mostly a gamer and you dont do much multi-tasking right?

Not to discourage your 4800 ideas, but the 165 Opty is a much better bang for the buck, with double the L2 cache, and nearly guaranteed to equal the 4800's overclock. Especially with your PC4000, the 9x multiplier will work well achieving a high OC.

4800's (along with 4400's) have the same amount of cache as the Opties... but Opties typically go farther :P

Sign in to follow this