XFX 8800 Factory overclocked

Raphie

That's correct downloaded the xxx bios from mkvtech and flashed it with NVflash

Just flashed my xfx 8800 gts to 8800 gtx XXX. Got over a 1000 increase in 3dmark06 score, from 8300 stock to 9300. Could I have done that just overclocking the stock settings myself (increased stock memory timings to 2000/630 from 1600/500 stock), I don't know. This is a big jump from my 7900GTX score of 6139. I will have to update my sig and O/C database thing now.

I used nvflash 5.33 so I could flash from windows (as 5.40 won't let me do the dos window in xp) (yeah, I'm lazy sometimes). Remember to backup your rom just in case. When you reboot, you will have to set up the nvidia drivers again. I noticed my temps went up a degree or two since the memory and core are running higher. My chipset has also went up a bit too, about 3 degrees. Nothing comes without a price.

Also, I think my XFX runs hot, even though I took off the heatsink and applied the goo myself, it (gpu) still runs at 71/72c at idle, and about 84/85 at full load.

The rom file you will use is (currently for XFX cards) XFX.8800GTX.XXX.PCIe.768MB.Rev.01.rom . Copy it and rename it to 8800.rom prior to running nvflash. Oh, I also had to use the -4 -5 -6 settings for nvflash to install the rom onto the xfx board.

Wow, 3dmark06 9300 score with just one card. :eek2:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

…just envious of your success…

Oh, I also had to use the -4 -5 -6 settings for nvflash to install the rom onto the xfx board.

I have a question; what the command (-4) does? I downloaded the version 5.33 nvFlash and read the nvFlash.info.txt, but I could not find the description of the command…

I’d appreciate if you could provide some input, reviewing what I did to perform the BIOS update (rainwood’s post on 01-28-2007, 01:30 PM in "DIY-Street Forums > Hardware Avenue > Video Cards > Nvidia SLI - Got 8800 GTXDIY-Street Forums > Hardware Avenue > Video Cards > Nvidia SLI - Got 8800 GTX" thread).

The '-4' is a hidden setting:

"-4" I think is for forcing a board mismatch to accept flash

-5 Allow firmware and adapter PCI device ID mismatch.

-6 Allow firmware and adapter PCI subsystem ID mismatch.

FYI for others, Please be aware that I'm doing this on a XFX board only and you can BRICK your video card in severe cases. There are sometimes ways to blind boot with the original firmware, Your mileage may vary YMMV.

http://www.mvktech.net/content/category/4/67/37/

As far as I remember, I didn't see any errors. But I was using a different nvflash version. Probably 5.40 doesn't need the -4 setting to force the flash. I would 'think' that a bios update is a 'yes' or 'no' thing, it either works or not. If you show the new bios in your video cards, then the flash took OK.

I looked at your other ref'd thread, and yes, I would think you would have higher scores. It must be something to do with hardware, the pci-e bus, etc. Probably motherboard or chipset related. You are right to ask others about some SLI scores to compare to, but alot of people just can't afford 2 GTX's and also have test results. I would 'try' to talk to your EVGA maker and also NVIDIA and see if you get any responses. That's alot of money you spent and I would EXPECT top results for that cash.

NOTE/EDIT: I had to use the '-4' flash setting, because I was flashing from a 8800 GTS to a 8800 GTX, and you were only doing a GTX upgrade.

The '-4' is a hidden setting:

"-4" I think is for forcing a board mismatch to accept flash

Faheyd, I appreciated your input.

The graphic card BISO version number displayed in the POST message when the system starts up is identical to the XXX edition’s BIOS version number, so it looks like the BIOS was flashed to the XXX one…

I made a contact with the MVKTeck and got clarification on the command (“4”) of the nvFlash v5.xx:

A:>nvflash -4 -5 -6 xxx.rom

This is the forced BIOS flash method: this method is required when the ID is different, although the cards are the same.

…I did not pay attention to the ID difference. Looking at the screenshot that I took during the BIOS update

• XFX 8800 GTX BIOS: Version: 60.80.06.00.12 ID: 10DE:0191:1682:2250
  • XFX 8800 GTX XXX BIOS: Version: 60.80.08.00.40 ID: 10DE:0191:1682:2250

The IDs of the BIOS files were same, so it was O.K. to perform the BIOS flash without the command (“4”)!

Lessons learned: read the instructions/manuals in advance && pay attention to the messages during the installation/update process.

• 4 weeks later...
Just flashed my xfx 8800 gts to 8800 gtx XXX. Got over a 1000 increase in 3dmark06 score, from 8300 stock to 9300. Could I have done that just overclocking the stock settings myself (increased stock memory timings to 2000/630 from 1600/500 stock), I don't know. This is a big jump from my 7900GTX score of 6139. I will have to update my sig and O/C database thing now.

I used nvflash 5.33 so I could flash from windows (as 5.40 won't let me do the dos window in xp) (yeah, I'm lazy sometimes). Remember to backup your rom just in case. When you reboot, you will have to set up the nvidia drivers again. I noticed my temps went up a degree or two since the memory and core are running higher. My chipset has also went up a bit too, about 3 degrees. Nothing comes without a price.

Also, I think my XFX runs hot, even though I took off the heatsink and applied the goo myself, it (gpu) still runs at 71/72c at idle, and about 84/85 at full load.

The rom file you will use is (currently for XFX cards) XFX.8800GTX.XXX.PCIe.768MB.Rev.01.rom . Copy it and rename it to 8800.rom prior to running nvflash. Oh, I also had to use the -4 -5 -6 settings for nvflash to install the rom onto the xfx board.

Wow, 3dmark06 9300 score with just one card. :eek2:

I wanted to revisit the "... it (gpu) still runs at 71/72c at idle, and about 84/85 at full load" statement above. I was able to load up RivaTuner 2.0final and adjust the fan speed 'fixed duty cycle' at 85% and my temps are now 60c and 75c at load. Much better, but the fan DB's are up, not too annoying, but I do notice it. I'm going to have to go with a watercooling block on this one, as I wouldn't like to burn up a $417 video card.