8X or 16X ?

Switched over from my eVGA6800ultras in sli to the single eVGA8800GTX and I did move my jumpers up to the top pins for single vga. But am confused if the 8800 is really running at 16x. Could someone with a DFI-SLI-DR motherboard and one of these cards check to see if its in 16x mode? Or does 16x only work with two gpu's? I didnt think about checking this before I took my ultras out. The manual (page 19, bottom paragraph) says it should be running 16x with one card in PCI-E slot 1. I've got both sli 12v rails plugged into it like it should be, and appears to be running fine (no lock ups at all so far). So, I'm just trying to figure out if its the gpu, or my DFI board.

Thanks, T.T.

untitled-3.jpguntitled-2.jpg

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. Only reference picture I can give you is Happy's first post/first picture in this thread. It shows the six jumpers in the "upper" position. That is where I had them since I installed the 8800 and it shows 8x. I did have them in the "lower" position with my two 6800's in sli of which it did show it as 8x correctly. And like I said, just a few minutes ago I moved them to the sli "lower" postion as a test. Still shows 8x and thats where they currently are. Going to move them back up to the upper position out of common sense I guess till I figure this out.

I just assume if its only using half the bandwidth, then I'm not getting what I could be out my gpu. I'm just wondering if Nvidias drivers are messing this up?

Hello,

Move all jumpers to upper position and make sure they are aligned and pins all ok.

Clear the CMOS for 10mins.

Use a single 6800 :) and tell us what you see.

Then swap to 8800.

Hmmm, same thing. Guess it just runs in 8x no matter what. Pretty sure I cleared the cmos correctly. It rebooted with a default and kept rebooting windows, so I reloaded my #3 bios bank (the one I have always used) and it it seems fine now, just at 8x. So I dont know, guess I'll just let it run at 8x till spring and go with a new mobo.

This is what I would recommend,

- Flash the bios to the latest official version.

- Then turn the PC off.

- Move SLi jumpers to upper position.

- Clear CMOS for 10mins with the PSU unplugged from mains.

- Then Power the PC.

- Enter the BIOS

- Load optimised defaults.

- Save the current Optimised default settings to each CMOS RELOADED profile. (very important that you do this)

- Then save and exit.

- Then Enter the bios and do what you like.

Does it show X16?

Thanks Sharp and everyone for the assist. As you can see by my year and a half old bios' I get very nervous with flashing bios. Dont even know the correct procedure anyhow. I had a pc buddy do these for me, then I learned enough through trial and error to play in the bios to get a good stable setting and left it there hehehe. I'll see if I can get him out here to help me again. I thought it would be easier for one of you to look at your and see if yours is in 16x with a single card heheh. Thanks guys.

It is quite simple, should you wish to give it a try.

Use Tmods CD, here is how to burn an ISO image.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21751

Here is how to clear the CMOS.

Clear your CMOS for 10 minutes

# Remove the power cord from the back of the power supply.

# Move the CMOS jumper to the clear position and leave it there for 10mins.

# Make sure you move it back to the save position after.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2947&stc=1

And before you actually flash the bios, run memtest for 30mins or at least 2 passes.

- Then just boot from Tmods CD.

- Choose the correct bios, NF4 SLi-DR

- Use latest offical or 623-3.

- Then it will run the flash program.

- Once the flash has completed, when you see it says, press F1 (or F2) to reboot.

- Turn the pc off.

- and do the clear cmos procedure.

- And what I said above about removing all your CMOS RELOADED profiles.

Simple :)