Sony takes another hit in the chops. Losing software developers!

Yukon Trooper

I read a very interesting paper on the state of the English language a few years ago and there was a great quote in it that I try my best to adhere to.

"Sloppy English leads to sloppy thinking."

Most of my English teachers were some of the dumbest people I have ever met in my life. If this was not the case, I might be able to agree with you on this. The fact some of these well learned idiots were unable to use logic or explain scientific theory. This would seem to be like a good indication of the fallacy of your statement.

Errors in reasoning, what I would think of as 'sloppy thinking' is usually from making poor assumptions or failure to look beyond the superficial teachers of an issue.

To illustrate: When you read that paper did you think why you would like it enough to remember it, or wonder why that person might want to come to that conclusion? Sadly even people trained to evaluate research and logic often find reasons to support their own bias. Much like me wanting to believe that English has little to do with thought. In truth, for normal people language does shape thought some extent, but if language does control though explain expressive aphasia. These people can think and hold normal lives but cant talk well often after an injury to a small part of the brain.

The real problem with thinking today is that people dont. They study grammar not language, and thinkers but not thought.

One reason that this writer doesn't work use 'proper' English on this forum is because people seem more likely to misconstrue what he happens to say using proper grammar than when no care for commas and sentence structure is used. Ironically improper use of grammar seems to induce more thought than otherwise in my experience. :tooth:

The other reason is because the computers at my job suck beyond belief and I cant surf the net without crashing- 50 running processes and 250MB of memory for all of it :eek2:. The perfect example of committee thinking. No I dont work on them.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should add this to the other sony bashing threads instead of create another. Why are people getting so hot and bothered by the thought of Sony having a bad times and exaggerating the situation? Having a Windows monopoly is not going to be a good thing- if they manage to wipe out sony nintendo would be next and games would be just as exciting as the Soap operas.

Except Sony has always been the company that everyone else would love to just beat the hell out of. They're like that really really rich kid in school who's completely stuck up and arrogant, but nobody has the guts to punch him because he's got connections.

It's not Microsoft doing it to them, and it's not just the PS3. They're doing it to themselves. Every time a new format comes out, Sony has to make their own proprietary version of it and use their status as a powerful economic battery to make it somewhat successful, instead of playing nice and going with the flow. No, they have to do everything their own way. Beta max, DVD+R series, blu-ray. Come out with something original and let others use it, and you won't get into a format war. If someone else comes out with something first, don't get all huffy and create your own little proprietary version of it just because you're a bunch of three-year olds that have to get their way.

And then, as if this wasn't bad enough, they've got to play world police by putting all this anti-piracy bull crap on everything they sell. As if the piracy of these things even affects them? Because last I checked, Sony doesn't even sell CDs.

They claim it's to avoid legal issues? Please. What can anyone do to Sony? All they're doing is creating devices that facilitate the transfer and display of information. What that information is, is not their problem, business, nor responsibility.

People are going to bash on sony because they have the guts to put out a format, or a device that no one else has the courage 'nor the brains too? I guess that's the way of the world theese days, if you don't understand something, you might as well bash it, and try you're best to put it down.

Coming from your post.... wow... just... wow.

I'll leave my reply at that.

Most of my English teachers were some of the dumbest people I have ever met in my life. If this was not the case, I might be able to agree with you on this. The fact some of these well learned idiots were unable to use logic or explain scientific theory. This would seem to be like a good indication of the fallacy of your statement.

Errors in reasoning, what I would think of as 'sloppy thinking' is usually from making poor assumptions or failure to look beyond the superficial teachers of an issue.

To illustrate: When you read that paper did you think why you would like it enough to remember it, or wonder why that person might want to come to that conclusion? Sadly even people trained to evaluate research and logic often find reasons to support their own bias. Much like me wanting to believe that English has little to do with thought. In truth, for normal people language does shape thought some extent, but if language does control though explain expressive aphasia. These people can think and hold normal lives but cant talk well often after an injury to a small part of the brain.

The real problem with thinking today is that people dont. They study grammar not language, and thinkers but not thought.

One reason that this writer doesn't work use 'proper' English on this forum is because people seem more likely to misconstrue what he happens to say using proper grammar than when no care for commas and sentence structure is used. Ironically improper use of grammar seems to induce more thought than otherwise in my experience. :tooth:

The other reason is because the computers at my job suck beyond belief and I cant surf the net without crashing- 50 running processes and 250MB of memory for all of it :eek2:. The perfect example of committee thinking. No I dont work on them.

smokingjoe is on the button with that one. im presonlly have never met a person with a truly intelligent scientific mind that is'nt slightlly inpaired in some way or another. i for one am totally . at reading, writing , english , language in genral, but good at science maths machcanical stuff.

also its a bit like that with sports to. think about the difference between a 100m runner to a 10,000m runner. they could both out do each other in their own event. thats life. if ure very lucky you might even be good at them both.

where all like that in one way or another wether we like it or not. i like to think im good at everything ;) , but back in the real world its impossible.

sorry to go on a bit & im not trying to offend eneyone. just wanted to put my illiterate $0.10 in:drool: :) :)

back to the sony thing, i think the idea of theyre 9 core setup is a good, for what.:nod: . they will probibily be good for sum kids scientific project in the future maybe:D

also those sell core's their using were atually first made years ago. with them and ibm i think. we all know how computer hardware has a short shelf life.

it wont really matter, because i bet sony will sell . loads. good on them too.

at least sony are better than those electrical companys that sell total ., you know the sort of one, the sort your mum or gran might buy from. they piss me off the most:mad:

Coming from your post.... wow... just... wow.

I'll leave my reply at that.

What exactly about that post drove you to be shocked? I was'nt so much talking about the ps3, more along the lines of what sony invented. They were not always a rich company like they are now, and unlike microsoft, they could not, and cannot affoard to lose much. If all of their items had'nt been a huge success, it would of hurt them as a company. Microsoft on the other hand, need not care if they lose money, becuase they have so much from people like me who have to go out and by another copy or cd key for windows every time I want to install the software that I OWN on another computer.

Sony is a huge huge company and like all huge companies, they need to eat a bit of humble pie once in a while to remind them that they aren't as big and powerful as they think they are in their own inflated-egomaniacal minds.

Sony bit the bullet on Betamax, Mini-Disc, that other crap (DVD-Audio or SA/CD some crap), and now they gonna bite the bullet on Blu-Ray.

I've no doubt they'll keep Blu-Ray around for a while because they can afford to bleed money like Microsoft (though not nearly as much as Microsoft can), but with HD-DVD players at $199 for Xbox360, and not having the issues that Blu-Ray currently having...it's only a matter of time I think before companies realize MS is the dominant power (not just for consoles, but almost everything software, and let's face facts....MS is the dominant software provider for almost everything we and businesses need to function/survice) and move their camps on over.

Let's also not forget that XNA, MS's software development platform for PC/Console gaming is based on DirectX, an API programmers have been familiar with for years and years...and it is quite easy to use compared to Sony's crummy programming needs (ultra-complex and even the best of their titles never quite lives up to the hype that was hyped about so much before that 2+ year old title finally shows up and takes advantage of the entire machine).

There's a lot of reasons why I'm happy that Sony is eating a big stinky one for a while.

I can only hope one day MS eats the big ugly stinky one for a while too.

I think all companies need to eat one or more big ugly stinky ones to keep them honest ;)

Don't worry; they'll be doing that with the Zune.

nah I think the Zune will be decent, especially because it doesn't require that bs called iTunes (i refuse iTunes...the iPods in the house use ONLY winamp to transfer songs back and forth).

More importantly Zune is backed by a lot of money, MS's money, and that means that they'll lose money the first go-around, by the second+ generation, they'll match or outperform Apple's iPod.

Such is the nature of having that much money and that much R&D...if your R&D can't make it better, you simply bleed money until you realize R&D won't ever make it better then you simply buy a company that makes it better, rebrand their technology and then blammo you compete and sometimes surpass (and sometimes easily).

Remember Apple's first few generations of iPod were stinkers too, but now Apple is doing it right. MS will do it right also. (as much as you might hate them, you have to admire them for never really giving up)

Creative Zen for the win. :D

There's a multitude of things I dislike about the iPod, but I'm wary about the Zune too after seeing Blunty3000's video on the Zune on youtube. If I were Creative, I'd watch them battle it out until there was only one exhausted victor, and like S.P.E.C.T.R.E., attack. :nod:

If microsoft never makes any mony on the Zune and Xbox it will be mony well spent in there eyes. Keeping the Ipod and Playstation fom becoming too popular prevents competition in the operating system market and if there is one thing microsoft wnats to avoid it is competition there.

People that buy Ipods are much more likly to get an Apple computer. Sony could leverage the consoles into something more and compete with Windows if they could just get their act together.

The playstation will do OK but the programers will take years to make full use of the cell processor just in time for the console to be replaced.