Static Shock = Fried

I apologize in advance if there is another post like this. I tried a search and nothing really popped up that I was looking for.

With the winter season comes a buildup of static electricity in my apartment. I went to press the power button of my computer and it shocked me. I turn the computer on, the BIOs screen passes by and the Windows loading screen pops up. Then I see a quick flash of the BSOD and the computer restarts without loading windows. I tried Safe Mode to try and get the BSOD to freeze without restarting, but it automatically restarts before loading windows.

After a few searches here, Im assuming this BSOD has to do with my RAM, so I reset my BIOs (switched the jumper and took the battery out for about 20 min) and tried one stick of RAM in both slots. In the slot closer to the end of the mobo (with either stick), the computer does the same BSOD thing as mentioned before. If I stick it in the slot closer to the CPU, I dont even get a BIOs screen, I just get a long error beep from my computer.

My question to you:

Would this be a fauly mobo or faulty RAM?

Thank you in advance for any help.

It sounds more like a faulty driver. If it is failing while loading windows, it sounds like you are facing a corrupted install possibly. Have you tried the option "Load last known good configuration"?

I have tried to, but its just way too quick.

This automatic restart happened on an old computer I had and I was able to see it only because it was a slower computer.

The problem is it just happens at random on the Windows loading screen so its hard to tell when its going to pop up for that millisecond...

If you have a can get a second hard drive, I would try installing XP onto the new HD to see what happens. You can always try a repair install on the original OS install, but I have never had any luck with that. All it really allows is for the ability to save the data on the previous install.

I know about the static electricity on winter. I always ground my self out by touching a metal part of the desk before I touch the pc or turn the pc on.

Well Im working off my old box right now, so youre saying take the working HD from the old box (lets call it IDE), throw it in my new rig?

So if Windows loads up, how do I ensure that my data isnt lost on the HD in my main rig (lets call it SATA).

I have tried repair install too but it never seems to work out. Mainly I just dont want to go through the whole process of reinstalling all my progs again if I dont have to. I dont have much data on the SATA I need to backup, its all on a secondary HD.

youre saying take the working HD from the old box (lets call it IDE), throw it in my new rig?

No. I was saying that if you had a spare HD, try reinstalling the OS on the spare HD on the main rig (the box that got the static electricity discharge) to see if you could get the main rig working on a clean install. If that worked, then you would know that the old install just got corrupted. Should that be the case, then you could take your old install HD, connect it as a data disk and get your data back.

However, the previous poster made a great recommendation to memtest your RAM in the main rig. If that fails, then you will know that the static electricity discharged impacted your RAM.