Sign in to follow this  
vaelo

No boot after IHS removal

I got my new Opty 170, it needed its IHS taken off, that went fine, but now i have put it back in, cleared CMOS and no boot, or rather, it powers on for half a second and then off again, i have tryed a 14 hour CMOS clear. just now attempting a 24 hour one.

I have tryed the cooler as tight as i can get it, and then as loose as i feel comfortable. I also checked the ICs to make sure there is no AS5 on them.

Any idea on what could be causing this?

You must of damaged it, have you tried looking closely to see if there is any chips or cracks. Either that or you have something loose, 24pin, 4pin power connectors to motherboard? If you have another processor handy, might want to try that out and if it works you know what's wrong. That's why there is a thread in here that says "Try at your own risk when you take off the IHS" because one wrong move can get you in trouble. Good Luck!

I just removed the chip again, there is no damage to the core. the only damage to the chip is the PCB outside the ihs when i was trying to get through. i have a friend with a similar rig that i can try the cpu out in.

i had a chip on the pcb of an old socket a chip and it killed it

mal

as a side note my ultra-d is powering up for 30sec-2minutes then shutting off like someone pulled the cord out of the wall...

My x2 3800+ died when i took my IHS off and you have way more nicks and scratches in that chip than i did.Sorry but id say Its dead dude

you can see copper through the scratches in the green.Thats a no no

Guest bail_w

seems like you were having a hard time to get a good starting spot to get the IHS off and damage the PCB.

clean it up again, first wit acetone, then wit some cottonswab and alcohol (a must!) to remove all AS5 spills.... then take another pic.

i just pop an IHS and i damaged one of the leg on one of the IC, and it worked just fine now... albeit a bit of trouble wit temp before....

is it just me or does the core have chips taken off on the corners and also what heat sync did you use the stock or what cooler u realize that you have to modify the heatsyinc after you remove the ihs or the die wont touch it and on boot poof dead as a door nail bud. hope this isnt so and as a side note my 3200+ looked like i tried to put a forest fire out with a screw driver on it and it still works (naked)