Official LanParty ICFX3200-T2R/G Discussion Thread

Will the ICFX3200 support 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM in 1T command rates ( four sticks of 1GB each preferably ) and still achieve a stable OC of at least 400mhz with an E6600 on a Zalman 9700 and Lian-Li 1100 Plus case with a Toughpower silent 750W.

If you have memory recommendations that you guys have pre-tested in this setup that would be awesome, however I will most likely stick with OCz, G. Skill, or Crucial because that's what I can get cheap from my memory retailer.

System will be running a custom fan less X1600 256mb ( soon to be physics card ) untill I upgrade to a ATI DX10 card. Most likely I will wait until the r700 series because they are rumored to use multi-gpu technology instead of a big gpu ( r600 will be the biggest ever ) that will just heat the crap out of my system.

P.S. Thanks to Ricky and Robert especially for helping me in the past and the rest of DFI for their continued support and effort to deliver superior products to the industry. Keep up the good work.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy, I 'm interested, why is everybody running they're mem 1:1 on CAS3, I mean is that better for performance than let's say DDR1200 on CAS4-5?

I understand that you can't expect to clock these four sticks to DDR1200, but people with two gigs and super quality RAM do that, why? :confused:

Will the ICFX3200 support 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM in 1T command rates ( four sticks of 1GB each preferably ) and still achieve a stable OC of at least 400mhz with an E6600 on a Zalman 9700 and Lian-Li 1100 Plus case with a Toughpower silent 750W.
Happy, you better start predicting future, you could make some money :D please darkside, how could possibly Happy know an answer to this question? ;)

This is where I get a little perplexed/lost...the obsession with high FSB. Unless you have phase the mega numbers really become moot. Being able to clock the memory independently makes it moot as well. Unless you have an E6300 ya'll aint gonna get any benefit from running 500 fsb. It's awesome and all that a board can reach these numbers but consider what you have for a processor before getting caught up in it...a 6400 at 500 fsb is 4ghz. A 6600 at 500 fsb would be 4.50ghz...aint happening. Got phase? Then rock on my friend :D

I've tinkered with Asus P5B Deluxe, Asus P5W DH, eVga 680i and Infinity 975. The fastest overall board (and probably easiest to work with next to eVga) has been the Infinity. I've worked with an E6400, E6600 and E6700 and at no time with mere mortal cooling has FSB truly come into play. And at no time has any other board been able to match my max (or even challenge) my OCDB stable pairing of an Infinity 975 with an E6600 at 3.80ghz. Daily running speed? Hale no...expect 3.2 to 3.4ghz real world day in day out from your Conroe and again, FSB becomes moot. You just don't "need" it.

Will I buy an RD600? You bet. Just so I can spend a couple of sleepless nights playing with memory. Is memory important or even critical with Conroe? Absolutley not! Get the highest clocking memory that you can afford and worry about how far you can take your cpu and watch all of your old AMD benchmarks fall to the curb...or watch them get kicked to the curb I should say. Will you "feel" the difference? Probably not...AMD still makes a great product and for gaming (as long as you have a good video card) you can stick with what you have for another year or two. Got a little money to burn? Jump to Conroe and have a blast with gaming and benchmarks...

Just don't get caught up in the FSB race unless you have the cooling to match your expectations...my .02 cents...

LOL, very well stated. I guess my question was more about the tinkering. Still stuck about 3 years ago with my setup where I struggled to get 250 fsb :-)

Lowering the multi with say 550fsb would give better performance no? Still trying to figure out if this board unlocks the multi's down.

It still looks awesome though. And if it sells for ~$200ish I'm gettin it. Stable all the way to the limit. No hardware problems at the limits of OC from what I've read.

i just hope for more than 514 fsb...thats the max i achieved with p5b vanilla and the deluxe

under phase...of course...on a 6600 1:1

but i was able to do 4600 mhz with 1,62 vcore.....i feel that i can go further with a good mobo.....and i have high expectations with this dfi

man i am going nuts waiting for the dfi....:cool:

Well if you made 514FSB on X board then you better keep it since the RD600 bios is currently showing 511 as max chooseable FSB.

RGone...:confused:

i just hope for more than 514 fsb...thats the max i achieved with p5b vanilla and the deluxe

under phase...of course...on a 6600 1:1

but i was able to do 4600 mhz with 1,62 vcore.....i feel that i can go further with a good mobo.....and i have high expectations with this dfi

man i am going nuts waiting for the dfi....:cool:

Happy, I 'm interested, why is everybody running they're mem 1:1 on CAS3, I mean is that better for performance than let's say DDR1200 on CAS4-5?

I understand that you can't expect to clock these four sticks to DDR1200, but people with two gigs and super quality RAM do that, why? :confused:

Happy, you better start predicting future, you could make some money :D please darkside, how could possibly Happy know an answer to this question? ;)

this chipset seems designed to run in synch (1:1). Keep in mind at synch you get usually better timings (which will have a slight performance impact but in the 1% to 3% range usually...I'm testing right now to make sure)

at synch, you got a lot more headroom to raise the FSB

memory timings are important when it comes to same cpu mhz speeds. 4-4-4 is better than 5-5-5 at the same cpu mhz (say 3Ghz).

The differences though are not like they used to be on the AthlonXP/P4. They are more in line with Athlon64 since the cpu's are so strong (and while Core2 doesn't have integrated mem controller, the cpu itself is such a monster it doesn't really need one).

Personally, I only care about timings when I've maxed everything out...if 400x8 is where my cpu maxes out, but I can still change from 5-6-6-15 to 3-4-4-9 then of course I'll drop to lower timings to get that extra bit of performance.

memory bandwith, as I've claimed for long time, is moot. Timings really are moot. Command rates are moot. Cpu Mhz...that is what you want to focus on.

As I have just said...of course a tighter bit of memory timings will increase performance, but not enough to make a big deal out of it. If you want to understand it, read the thread stuck to the top of AMD Overclocking section about tight timings vs dividers vs 1t vs 2t etc

as for overclocking...i've not gotten into overclocking the board yet.

in fact, I've dumped it off the bench as I've got other stuff to do for the moment (other jobs that pay cash since it is xmas time so the icfx3200....it is just gonna have to collect dust until after the first of the year looks like...cash money is important to me)

thnx for responding Happy, I've read your post twice by now and I still don't understand if it is better to take my D9GKXs to DDR1200 4-4-4-12 at asynch.than DDR900 with 3-4-4-9 at synch.(these timings are not gonna happen but let's say they did)?

Well, I think it would be the best for me to test it when I get the mobo... (everything else is collecting dust here :P)

I'll read that thread at AMD section, thnx.

thnx for responding Happy, I've read your post twice by now and I still don't understand if it is better to take my D9GKXs to DDR1200 4-4-4-12 at asynch.than DDR900 with 3-4-4-9 at synch.(these timings are not gonna happen but let's say they did)?

Well, I think it would be the best for me to test it when I get the mobo... (everything else is collecting dust here :P)

I'll read that thread at AMD section, thnx.

Yuppers...only way to find out what works best for you is to test it. Since you already have the memory your not stuck with trying to make a buying decsion :D Pop em in and let em rip..............