Official LanParty ICFX3200-T2R/G Discussion Thread

I definitely have to agree. The price will sell this board weasily compared to Asus's insanely overpriced motherboards. Once I can get my hands on one of these, it's definitely time to move over to Conroe. Does anyone have any OCZ PC2-6400 Titanium Alpha Dual Channel to test in this board? As much as the ATI memeory looks nice and all, the timings on the Titanium Alpha are a bit better and it's only $4.00 more.

timings are moot point just like the A64's. So is memory bandwidth. Just like A64's, the cpu Mhz is what is important, not timings, not 1T vs 2T (sure 1T will give you 1% to 3% better performance in REAL APPS/GAMES, but 2T will allow you to overclock a hell of a lot more, meaning more CPU Mhz, meaning a hell of a lot more performance).

You guys need to stop warping your mind with this timings-are-everything mentality.

I've already started a thread about this, and am doing more testing right now to show everyone that timings are practically useless, just like A64's.

The thing you are forgetting because you've got your mind locked up in this whole timings thing is that the OCZ-ATI Crossfire memory is OPTIMIZED for ATI chipsets...no other DDr2 that I know of will detect ATI chipset and then run better/tighter right out of the gate.

For $4 less I'm thinking I want DDr2 modules that are optimized for ATI chipsets (and will run 3-4-4-10 @ 1:1, 4-4-4-12 @ 800, and 5-5-5-15 @ 1000+, which I've tested on both the Intel and AMD AM2 ATI chipsets)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, It seems to get to its max sooo easy you would it expect it to get higher than 511mhz fsb. If it can do that so easily and stable I was hoping you could tweak it higher.

Can you decrease the multi on this board as well? I read the anand and extremesystems posts but didnt see it mentioned.

HAHA complaining about 511 fsb. :drool:

yes, I am running 4x1GB OCZ ATI Crossfire PC2-6400 (800Mhz) @ 1:1, 3-4-4-10 on XP-64, Vista 64, and XP 32 (32-bit only sees 3.25GB)

sweet :)

so , if you have a few 2gb sticks , how many gigs can the 64 bit see?

It would be sweet to have 8gigs. :eek2:

Guest Archangel

A 64bit OS should see 8GB is supported by the motherboard. If I'm not mistaken, 64bit OS's can address up to 16TB of RAM.

Man, It seems to get to its max sooo easy you would it expect it to get higher than 511mhz fsb. If it can do that so easily and stable I was hoping you could tweak it higher.

Can you decrease the multi on this board as well? I read the anand and extremesystems posts but didnt see it mentioned.

HAHA complaining about 511 fsb. :drool:

This is where I get a little perplexed/lost...the obsession with high FSB. Unless you have phase the mega numbers really become moot. Being able to clock the memory independently makes it moot as well. Unless you have an E6300 ya'll aint gonna get any benefit from running 500 fsb. It's awesome and all that a board can reach these numbers but consider what you have for a processor before getting caught up in it...a 6400 at 500 fsb is 4ghz. A 6600 at 500 fsb would be 4.50ghz...aint happening. Got phase? Then rock on my friend :D

I've tinkered with Asus P5B Deluxe, Asus P5W DH, eVga 680i and Infinity 975. The fastest overall board (and probably easiest to work with next to eVga) has been the Infinity. I've worked with an E6400, E6600 and E6700 and at no time with mere mortal cooling has FSB truly come into play. And at no time has any other board been able to match my max (or even challenge) my OCDB stable pairing of an Infinity 975 with an E6600 at 3.80ghz. Daily running speed? Hale no...expect 3.2 to 3.4ghz real world day in day out from your Conroe and again, FSB becomes moot. You just don't "need" it.

Will I buy an RD600? You bet. Just so I can spend a couple of sleepless nights playing with memory. Is memory important or even critical with Conroe? Absolutley not! Get the highest clocking memory that you can afford and worry about how far you can take your cpu and watch all of your old AMD benchmarks fall to the curb...or watch them get kicked to the curb I should say. Will you "feel" the difference? Probably not...AMD still makes a great product and for gaming (as long as you have a good video card) you can stick with what you have for another year or two. Got a little money to burn? Jump to Conroe and have a blast with gaming and benchmarks...

Just don't get caught up in the FSB race unless you have the cooling to match your expectations...my .02 cents...

Ah, reason and sanity...d*mn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Hehehehe.

RGone...:confused:

This is where I get a little perplexed/lost...the obsession with high FSB. Unless you have phase the mega numbers really become moot. Being able to clock the memory independently makes it moot as well. Unless you have an E6300 ya'll aint gonna get any benefit from running 500 fsb. It's awesome and all that a board can reach these numbers but consider what you have for a processor before getting caught up in it...a 6400 at 500 fsb is 4ghz. A 6600 at 500 fsb would be 4.50ghz...aint happening. Got phase? Then rock on my friend :D

I've tinkered with Asus P5B Deluxe, Asus P5W DH, eVga 680i and Infinity 975. The fastest overall board (and probably easiest to work with next to eVga) has been the Infinity. I've worked with an E6400, E6600 and E6700 and at no time with mere mortal cooling has FSB truly come into play. And at no time has any other board been able to match my max (or even challenge) my OCDB stable pairing of an Infinity 975 with an E6600 at 3.80ghz. Daily running speed? Hale no...expect 3.2 to 3.4ghz real world day in day out from your Conroe and again, FSB becomes moot. You just don't "need" it.

Will I buy an RD600? You bet. Just so I can spend a couple of sleepless nights playing with memory. Is memory important or even critical with Conroe? Absolutley not! Get the highest clocking memory that you can afford and worry about how far you can take your cpu and watch all of your old AMD benchmarks fall to the curb...or watch them get kicked to the curb I should say. Will you "feel" the difference? Probably not...AMD still makes a great product and for gaming (as long as you have a good video card) you can stick with what you have for another year or two. Got a little money to burn? Jump to Conroe and have a blast with gaming and benchmarks...

Just don't get caught up in the FSB race unless you have the cooling to match your expectations...my .02 cents...

I certainly have to agree. You have to have the cooling, but there are still some of us out here who have been bitten by the overclocking bug that want to see how far they can push things on air. I guess a good analogy might be the comparison of the guys that drag race. Some do it on the street with stock engines. Then you have those that still like to race on the street with some slight modifications just to get the extra advantage over the next guy. Last but least is the guy that really lives to be the best, and that is the hardcore overclocker that is always looking for the next challenge and the best parts and tools to do it with. I really do not think the hardcore overclocker does it just so they can play a game faster. I bet a lot of them do not even spend a lot of time playing games.

As I explained to my girlfriend, I could be building race cars, spending lots of money, busting my knuckles, and come home with dirt and grease ground into my hands.

For me overclocking a new motherboard is similar to getting the most horsepower out of a new engine design. Hopefully the DFI Lanparty ICFX3200-T2R/G motherboard is a great new engine, and the new challenges it brings for overclocker is what makes it fun and interesting.

Jason