Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Official LanParty ICFX3200-T2R/G Discussion Thread

I guess the one question I need to ask, has anyone tried a quad core on this board yet? I am curious as a friend has asked how this new board will work with a Kentsfield (QX6700) and a 8800 XTX ... and 4gigs of RAM ... anyone know? :rolleyes:

Guest eva2000
I guess the one question I need to ask, has anyone tried a quad core on this board yet? I am curious as a friend has asked how this new board will work with a Kentsfield (QX6700) and a 8800 XTX ... and 4gigs of RAM ... anyone know? :rolleyes:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4409&s=17

Guest eva2000

I'm not one of the 4 testers you are thinking of. But yes mine's a retail sample board AFAIK. Meaning it's a retail board provided as a sample for testing :)

Ouch, but really thanks for being honest Travis. Another great reason for coming here and being a part of this forum. You know you will get the straight dope.

just to make sure everyone understands my position:

like always, I am a consumer. I am after the best bang for my dollar.

The ICFX3200 does not offer it because for us 95%, it offers only more complexity and absolutely zero performance increase over the current Infinity 975X/G.

This is a fact, not an opinion.

This is NOT me saying that the ICFX3200 is a pile of .. I have not ever said such a thing.

I am merely giving you some brutal honesty, as others have pointed out, that buying this board is for the hardest of the hardcore overclockers, who have the money, time, and skill to work with cooling that is beyond watercooling.

With air and watercooling, 3600-ish Mhz is the hard limit. Not because of motherboards or memories, but because of the thermal properties of the Core2Duo cpu @ these speeds.

It simply isn't realistic for typical air and watercooling setups to gain more than 3600Mhz without hitting 70+ C temps (unless you somehow are letting your computer room get down to 32F/0C temps).

It just isn't. Right now it is a VERY COLD 52F in my computer lab because we've just not been out here doing much of anything since before Xmas, and the heat stays off out here. 3600Mhz on a dual-rad watercooled DD high-end setup STILL nets me 71C at full Orthos runs.

Not acceptable.

Asus's 965 and 975's, etc all offer the same end-results: cpu heat is the limiting factor of your overclock. Going to be the same with any board until everyone moves to phase-change cooling or Intel makes their cpu's churn out less heat while running even higher speeds.

This is just the reality. I feel like I am experienced enough in overclocking and cooling by now to make such statements and stick to them without faltering.

The ICFX3200 might or might not offer more overclocking for phase users. I will never know because phase users make up less than 1% of all DFI users...and that means that if all the phase users were to just disappear off the face of the earth, it would not impact our sales one iota. Not a single cent really.

However, if all the watercooling users died suddenly, we'd probably lose a good 25% chunk. If all the air cooling users died, that would be about 75%+ of all paying customers.

This really boils down to what I feel like I need to do to help the majority of our customers...which is the 99% that use water/air and not something exotic and expensive (that also instantly voids the warranty since the first smudge of dialectric grease to shield against condensation = instant warranty void)

Note I am not hating on phase guys. They just are not important to me becuase they make up less than 1% of all the customers that will want our product. I must cater to the masses, and phase guys...you are not even close to being more than a pimple on a giant elephant's behind. Thankfully you boys all know this and don't get offended.

For the rest of you, all that I have spoken is the reality.

You want overclock bang for the buck? Get the less-expensive, much-easier-and-less-complex 975X/G. We've started filling up the OCDB with entries. The general feeling is that the 975X/G does it just as good as any other board on the market and is actually the most consistent stable overclocker...plus you get this great community full of info.

Buying an ICFX3200 is not going to make your overclock any better, because you don't have the necessary equipment to beat out the standard overclocks (ie you don't have phase change cooling, so you will be limited to around 3600-ish Mhz, regardless of motherboard).

Some might come in here and claim I'm stupid and foolish and don't know what I am talking about...and that's cool man. I can take it. But keep in mind who is doing such talking compared to guys that you trust here that have never led you wrong (at least not intentionally lol).

That's just the way it is. I'm extremely satisfied with my 975X/G. It's so freakin easy to hit a daily 3-3.2Ghz overclock, and that is more than enough for all of my tasks.

If I wanted a bigger e-penis, I'd probably go to the ICFX3200 but not until I had something better than water/air cooling.

But thankfully I am secure in my e-penis size.

Honesty appreciated HG...I know you have better things to do than hold someones hand when they get in over their heads and the ICFX is going to do that big time. I've already accepted the fact that I am most likely not going to get any farther than I already have with the Infinity. Mayhaps I'll get a little further with memory but we both know that amounts to next to diddly on this platform. The latest beta for the Infinity has unlocked a whole new spectrum for E6400 users and I'm currently finding that out. No vMods and she will boot into windows at 460...she won't re-boot but that's another story :D Still exploring the limits on the little Fini that could...

it's nice to know I'm in the 1% with the biggest e-penis and broken zipper, lol.

Overclocking is a personal challenge, after a certain point cooling becomes the biggest contributing factor to limits. Skill is not required anymore unless you have a board first, all the work is done by others these days, so must of us just tap in their settings. With the ICFX at least the learning curves gonna be like climbing Everest. That board is definately for the extreme end of the market, I hope the auto settings are geared up well. Tbh anyone with extreme cooling should be looking at e6700 as a minimum as it solves the fsb riddle on most boards immediately.

I do what here what I can to help others from the heart not for fame or glory. In fact there's some stuff that just stays private these days as you start getting bombarded with questions or helping people that are not really deserving as they are rude or nasty. OC'ing is just time put in, nothing more, no mystical science or super abilities, a little bit of bottle at times and a few hardware risks at certain barriers.

I'm still looking forwards to the ICFX, for me it's a tweakers paradise, but if buying solely for ram speeds well, you might find that async does not mean 1200mhz at cas4/5 is so much faster at your max overclock, as strap latencies do come into play. Basically Intel sussed this 2 years ago, all the newer chipsets are just refined respins of the 975 that do more in one department and less in another. the rd600 is no different, certain latency and mhz barriers have been reached for the time being. until bearlake arrives we don't know if that bar can be raised. As my peers before me have said. we need to worry about keeping the Conroe cool before worrying about what the motherbaord will do. On the Infinity 975 at least, the 667mhz divider is brutally fast at cas 4 over 1000mhz, I doubt you'll see that performance anywhere else for a while.

At least until we give the ICFX 6 months to get the best from it. I'm a firm believer in time to deliver. Both me an Oldguy know how much time we've put in to get our infinity boards where they are now, sometimes 12-13 hour shifts, hundreds of cmos resets, and massive hours waiting for Orthos passes.

regards

Raja

Honesty appreciated HG...I know you have better things to do than hold someones hand when they get in over their heads and the ICFX is going to do that big time.

you don't even know how much hand-holding you guys are going to have to do with every single user who purchases the ICFX3200 board. It is a nightmare and I'm beginning to believe it is the wrong path to take.

Personally, I strongly believe we need to move away from this ultra-complex overclocking crap and move into a lot less complex overclocking (sorta like the 975 or the older 875).

More complexity = more RMA's, more 'defective' boards, more pissed off users, more whiners, more blah blah blah

less complexity (but still strong overclocking) = a few whiners crying about something (like they did with 975 until we proved it was the most consistent and stable overclocker)

I'm really bored of the super-mega-ultra-near-impossibly-complex overclocking options.

They don't do anything for us 99%'ers.

Us 99%'ers are where the money is...so maybe DFI and others should start actually catering to us instead of the 1%'ers. (no offense 1%'ers...but your buying power is weak and girly compared to ours)

e-penis's? girly? weak? cross dressing feminine egotists with big dicks into pc overclocking?

Personally I beilieve what DFI need is a dual bios for lanparties, 2 front ends, a simplifed bios and a complex one.

that's a hypothetical statement too..cos I know it ain't gonna happen (just an idea)

I had suspected that the ICFX3200 was going to be a tough nut to crack, but now, with the Inconvenient Truth coming out, it looks like I'll just wait for the Rev 2 board of the Infinity and polish up on my E6600 OC'ing skills ... :angel: