Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Official LanParty ICFX3200-T2R/G Discussion Thread

Does this board allow you to lower the multi?

CPU frequency being the same @ 3.6ghz

Would 6x600fsb have any performance advantage over 7x514fsb?

With memory for both async'd to the same frequency?

With memory for both sync'd 1:1 I would think there would be at a loss of timings.

this chipset seems designed to run in synch (1:1). Keep in mind at synch you get usually better timings (which will have a slight performance impact but in the 1% to 3% range usually...I'm testing right now to make sure)

at synch, you got a lot more headroom to raise the FSB

memory timings are important when it comes to same cpu mhz speeds. 4-4-4 is better than 5-5-5 at the same cpu mhz (say 3Ghz).

The differences though are not like they used to be on the AthlonXP/P4. They are more in line with Athlon64 since the cpu's are so strong (and while Core2 doesn't have integrated mem controller, the cpu itself is such a monster it doesn't really need one).

Personally, I only care about timings when I've maxed everything out...if 400x8 is where my cpu maxes out, but I can still change from 5-6-6-15 to 3-4-4-9 then of course I'll drop to lower timings to get that extra bit of performance.

memory bandwith, as I've claimed for long time, is moot. Timings really are moot. Command rates are moot. Cpu Mhz...that is what you want to focus on.

As I have just said...of course a tighter bit of memory timings will increase performance, but not enough to make a big deal out of it. If you want to understand it, read the thread stuck to the top of AMD Overclocking section about tight timings vs dividers vs 1t vs 2t etc

as for overclocking...i've not gotten into overclocking the board yet.

in fact, I've dumped it off the bench as I've got other stuff to do for the moment (other jobs that pay cash since it is xmas time so the icfx3200....it is just gonna have to collect dust until after the first of the year looks like...cash money is important to me)

hey Happy, Thanks for the thread. Been waitin a while for this mobo. Merry Christmas to You and Momma!!!! and I hope theres lots of money making projects on the old bench and you guys have a very proseperous 2007 :)

hey Happy, Thanks for the thread. Been waitin a while for this mobo. Merry Christmas to You and Momma!!!! and I hope theres lots of money making projects on the old bench and you guys have a very proseperous 2007 :)

Ditto! I cant wait to have this board!

This is where I get a little perplexed/lost...the obsession with high FSB. Unless you have phase the mega numbers really become moot. Being able to clock the memory independently makes it moot as well. Unless you have an E6300 ya'll aint gonna get any benefit from running 500 fsb. It's awesome and all that a board can reach these numbers but consider what you have for a processor before getting caught up in it...a 6400 at 500 fsb is 4ghz. A 6600 at 500 fsb would be 4.50ghz...aint happening. Got phase? Then rock on my friend :D

I've tinkered with Asus P5B Deluxe, Asus P5W DH, eVga 680i and Infinity 975. The fastest overall board (and probably easiest to work with next to eVga) has been the Infinity. I've worked with an E6400, E6600 and E6700 and at no time with mere mortal cooling has FSB truly come into play. And at no time has any other board been able to match my max (or even challenge) my OCDB stable pairing of an Infinity 975 with an E6600 at 3.80ghz. Daily running speed? Hale no...expect 3.2 to 3.4ghz real world day in day out from your Conroe and again, FSB becomes moot. You just don't "need" it.

Will I buy an RD600? You bet. Just so I can spend a couple of sleepless nights playing with memory. Is memory important or even critical with Conroe? Absolutley not! Get the highest clocking memory that you can afford and worry about how far you can take your cpu and watch all of your old AMD benchmarks fall to the curb...or watch them get kicked to the curb I should say. Will you "feel" the difference? Probably not...AMD still makes a great product and for gaming (as long as you have a good video card) you can stick with what you have for another year or two. Got a little money to burn? Jump to Conroe and have a blast with gaming and benchmarks...

Just don't get caught up in the FSB race unless you have the cooling to match your expectations...my .02 cents...

right on the spot OldGuy.. :)

ahh.. hope to see this mobo on retail.. :) we will have sleepless nights tinkering this baby.. :)

@Happy

thanks for sharing.. will be looking forward for more of your results.. :)

timings are moot point just like the A64's. So is memory bandwidth. Just like A64's, the cpu Mhz is what is important, not timings, not 1T vs 2T (sure 1T will give you 1% to 3% better performance in REAL APPS/GAMES, but 2T will allow you to overclock a hell of a lot more, meaning more CPU Mhz, meaning a hell of a lot more performance).

Won't the memory be independent?So I wont raise the ram when I overclock the CPU?How will this independence be defined?Will I have a divider that is automatically set by the chipset and is balanced between the cpu speed and ram speed or will this be a link or smthn?

Guest OldTimer

BANNED 7 DAYS FOR POSTING OUR EMAIL ADDRESSES IN OPEN FORUM

NOT SURE HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE TO KEEP REMINDING FOOLISH PEOPLE ABOUT THIS...

overclockers.co.uk is letting us pre-order over here. theyre saying 1/17/07 is when their getting theirs. but £200 wtf:eek: . i'll be waiting for the price to drop a bit, as they always do fairly quickly.

has eneyone got eney idea what sort of h2o north-block will fit on this new board. as its northsink look pritty rectangular. will it need a whole new block design or sumthing?

cheers green

what about clocking it to 3GHz on it? any good?

If you can't get 3ghz with this board you'd be doing something seriously wrong. Three different processors on four different boards will all do 3ghz with stock voltage...