Infuriating motherboard/PSU problem

Had a PSU failure recently (exploded). I RMA'ed it (enermax noisetaker 600w) and got a new Noisetaker II. I hooked it up and it wouldn't fully power up my motherboard (DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR). Got standby LEDs, but hitting the power switch would only make it power up for a split second. The new PSU tested OK on an older machine, so I decided to RMA the board too.

It finally got repaired and returned after over 2 weeks, but when I hooked it up it was the same problem - still only powered up for a split second. I decided to try taking the 350w CWT PSU from the older machine - lo and behold, it powers up the Lanparty (despite only having a 20-pin ATX connector). The new enermax PSU still powers up the old machine (ECS K7S5A) but doesn't like the DFI board at all.

What the hell's going on here?

Is it possible that the DFI board got some kind of fault from the first PSU failure which could in turn have caused some kind of damage to the new PSU? I have emailed DFI's tech support to try and find out what repairs were done to the board, might shed some light...

Do a long CMOS clear like this and follow it exactly.

I would say if you had that dramatic of a PSU failure chances are it took out other components as well.

Then try different memory and CPU.

I don't see how that will help to be honest. Let me make it clear:

The board doesn't power up, let alone boot. I get standby LEDs, but pressing the power button only makes it come on for a split second.

This only happens with one particular PSU, a brand new Enermax Noisetaker II 600w, yet the same PSU works fine with another board (an old ECS K7S5A).

Components are fine. I have tested the RAM in another PC and have tried 2 different CPUs. And like I say, the DFI board powers up just fine with an old 20-pin ATX PSU.

So who doesn't like who? The lanparty or the enermax?

"""Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE (SLI Cert, 600W)""" <<< that what you HAD is most likely NOT what they sent you in return...what you have now is most likely a Noisetakerll Revll and that is NOT the same internal guts as your original power supply and subject to the cold boot problems with some DFI boards...a problem that your original "type" Noisetaker did NOT have...

RGone...:confused:

Had a PSU failure recently (exploded). I RMA'ed it (enermax noisetaker 600w) and got a new Noisetaker II. I hooked it up and it wouldn't fully power up my motherboard (DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR). Got standby LEDs, but hitting the power switch would only make it power up for a split second. The new PSU tested OK on an older machine, so I decided to RMA the board too.

It finally got repaired and returned after over 2 weeks, but when I hooked it up it was the same problem - still only powered up for a split second. I decided to try taking the 350w CWT PSU from the older machine - lo and behold, it powers up the Lanparty (despite only having a 20-pin ATX connector). The new enermax PSU still powers up the old machine (ECS K7S5A) but doesn't like the DFI board at all.

What the hell's going on here?

Is it possible that the DFI board got some kind of fault from the first PSU failure which could in turn have caused some kind of damage to the new PSU? I have emailed DFI's tech support to try and find out what repairs were done to the board, might shed some light...

Yes, as I said in the first post it was a newer revision PSU that I got back.

I've emailed Enermax tech support to see what they say.

30 minute CMOS clear didn't help, predictably. I'll try an overnight one anyway...

To be honest I'm thinking of just asking for a refund for the PSU. Any recommendations for a suitable alternative from a more reputable manufacturer (eg Seasonic)? and preferably something that will be OK in an Antec P180...

OK, been looking around and I can see that OCZ GameXstream = FSP. I've also got a lot of recommendations for the Corsair HX 620w which I understand is basically a modular Seasonic S12. I quite like the idea of a modular PSU (P180 is a cabling nightmare) so I am leaning towards the Corsair or the Seasonic M12 - any reason why I'd pay more for the latter apart from the extra fan?

The FSP/OCZs seems to be a lot cheaper and to be honest I am a little cautious of that.

Also the fact that Seasonic make some PCP&C models is swinging me heavily in their favour.

you needn't be wary of the "cheaper" OCZ/FSP they are EXCELLENT PSU's

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

DFI-Street.com Certified (ie: HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION)

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply

(personally tested by Happy_Games. This and the OCZ 700w GX are my two favorite psu's!)

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

(current top-rated, top-recommended psu by Happy_Games and majority of the forum!)

FSP Group (Fortron Source) Epsilon FX600-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 600W Power Supply

FSP Group (Fortron Source) Epsilon FX700-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 700W Power Supply

Corsair HX620w ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply (Active PFC)

(quickly becoming Happy_Games' favorite psu. Modular, strong rails, low-heat, nearly silent...excellent excellent unit!)

PC Power & Cooling TURBO-COOL 1KW-SR SLI, EPS12V, SSI 1000W Power Supply 90 - 264V

Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails

(personally tested by Happy_Games...excellent choice for X1900 Crossfires / 7900 SLI's!)

these are your BEST bets, 2 OCZ's, the Corsair, 2 FSP's, an Antec, and the PC P&C.