Sign in to follow this  
azrael201

RAM suggestions for Overclocking on this board?

So i just got this board and despite the headache i have with installing an Arctic Freezer Pro 64 i want to believe this board will be worth it.

anyways this is basically my HTPC/weaker gaming system and i wanted to throw all my old parts in it. I want to shove 2GB of RAM in it for BF2 but I only have 2x512MB OCZ El Platinum Rev 2 lying around. The problem is...without spending a lot of money what kind of RAM should i buy to overclock well.

These OCZ's have hit 300Mhz, but the 3000+ i'm pairing it with probably only hits 275Mhz. I was thinking maybe just adding a pair of these?

I guess I'll have to run some serious dividers if i do that? I just have no experience with 4 dimms overclocking.

p.s. on a side note what cases do you guys use? this microfly is really a bastard and it might be i don't have any experience with SFF but i just got a hacksaw today to cut away the crossbeams so i can shove the heatsink in. And online reviews were not lying about how difficult it was to add the heatsink (test run).

yea i just saw that case and it looks real nice, thanks for replying. i was able to borrow a hacksaw from lab and so i did away with that crossbeam. Unfortunately the Sugo looks really expensive.

where else can i post about RAM?

I hate dam crossbeams I never leave mine in, I dont take my case on trips though! I may leave it in if was going to carry my case around!

I have a TT's Armor(full tower), 2 NZXT's- Nemesis EL and ZERO(1mid, 1full) and 2 Xoxide cheapo's (mid's) closet full of Dell, Gate, and IBM cases(Junk!)

The TT Armors are on sale at the EGG $129! They are great for modding and overclocking, they have all kinds of room, great airflow, comes with lots of fans, side window, blowhole fan, extra HDD cage, its a god case! For some its too much, being a full tower, it is big. A mid-tower is more common being they are smaller then a full but still fit a ATX board!

As for Overclocking those Corsair ram is going to give you problems pairing them with your OCZ, on top of that, if they would work, they will have to run 2T and 2x1024mb works alot faster at 1T then 4x512mb at 2T! Just from my experiance I would go with a 2GB kit of 2x1024mb! I tryed 4x512 on a Nf4 for about a month, they were all the same brand and still I had issues, mainly while overclocking!

OCZ is my brand but its getting hard to find good Overclocking DDR. I would try to find some DDR500 PC4000, you mght try G Skill or Muskin too. If you can find some OCZ 4000 GXT(Gold Ed.) I had those paird with my CFX and they did great! I sold mine last month for $320 though, it may be hard to find something like that at a good price.!

Keep you eye out in the for sale thread in forums, thats your best bet for some good Overclocking DDR! Also if you cant afford it right now, then save your cash, till you can! buying 2 more 512 will only set you back and you will want a 2GB kit anyhow! 1GB should get you through for some time, yes BF2 runs much better on 2GB but will run better on a 2GB kit at 1T over a 4x 512mb 2T set up!

Whatever you decide to do, is fine, but I would watch trying to match diffrent brands of DDR for sure! Good luck!

So i just got this board and despite the headache i have with installing an Arctic Freezer Pro 64 i want to believe this board will be worth it.

anyways this is basically my HTPC/weaker gaming system and i wanted to throw all my old parts in it. I want to shove 2GB of RAM in it for BF2 but I only have 2x512MB OCZ El Platinum Rev 2 lying around. The problem is...without spending a lot of money what kind of RAM should i buy to overclock well.

These OCZ's have hit 300Mhz, but the 3000+ i'm pairing it with probably only hits 275Mhz. I was thinking maybe just adding a pair of these?

I guess I'll have to run some serious dividers if i do that? I just have no experience with 4 dimms overclocking.

p.s. on a side note what cases do you guys use? this microfly is really a bastard and it might be i don't have any experience with SFF but i just got a hacksaw today to cut away the crossbeams so i can shove the heatsink in. And online reviews were not lying about how difficult it was to add the heatsink (test run).

I just built one last night. If you want 2 GB in 2 Sticks, then you might try some G.SKill DDR500 HZ. If this is going to be used as a gamer for you then you need the 2GB and a good Video card. If you are going to use it at a PVR or just for internet access then 1GB will probably be more than enough.

Jason

thanks for the advice on RAM. i just wanted to make sure the 1T vs 2T and also the mixing of different RAM. I guess it's for me to decide if I want to break the bank for a 2x1gig kit. They are getting so scarce and expensive now.

it's mainly going to be a PVR/HTPC, it's ok i already have one gaming rig.

you guys are great