Need some advice...

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Well now, I can barely OC at all. The best oc I got right now and be able to boot up is 1.98GHz. If I go any higher than that, Windows will not load. I doesnt make any difference whether I up the voltages or change the timings. It just wont oc past 1.98GHz for some reason. I cannot figure it out. Maybe it has something to do with the BIOS?

Clear your BIOS for a few minutes and try again your old settings.

BTW any prime failure after 4 hours is a tiny CPU voltage bump away from full stability. VERY VERY VERY rarely is it secondary ram timings. Don't mess with them.

BTW any prime failure after 4 hours is a tiny CPU voltage bump away from full stability. VERY VERY VERY rarely is it secondary ram timings. Don't mess with them.

Hi Thrax

I do believe that I referenced basic memory timings (CAS, tRCD,tRP,tRAS) , not secondary. This is not a matter of semantics. Changes to the basic memory timings have a great effect on the success of an overclock attempt. Changing basic timings is generally called loosening "memory timings", but I am sure that you know that.

:)

Okay, first off, Im sorry its been so long since I brought my attention to this thread. I have been very busy at work because of the holiday.

Anyway, I just reset CMOS and tried to overclock and no luck. I am still getting the same problem as I have discribed before. It gets to the point where it checks both CD and DVD drives for bootable cd's, but it just freezes and then reboots.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Guest Darkslayer

Remove all stress from ram. If it still won't do it, lower the CPU Multi down to 8x and try it again. That will tell you if the mobo is at fault (it'll classy lady if it doesn't like frequencies above what I'm assuming is 220mhz X 9 = 1980mhz, roughly). And last but not least, it could be the CPU. I wouldn't think it is, but it very may well be.

Try this: Reset the bios again and then reseat the CPU. I had that happen to me once where the system would scream bloody murder whenever I would go over stock. Reseating fixed the problem.

Drop the memory back to 166mhz (5:6 ratio). That will remove the ram from the equation. Also give the chipset and HTT a tad more voltage. 1 setting above default should be ok.

One more thing: Did you reset the bios before installing the other ram? Were you overclocking at the time?

Remove all stress from ram. If it still won't do it, lower the CPU Multi down to 8x and try it again. That will tell you if the mobo is at fault (it'll classy lady if it doesn't like frequencies above what I'm assuming is 220mhz X 9 = 1980mhz, roughly). And last but not least, it could be the CPU. I wouldn't think it is, but it very may well be.

Try this: Reset the bios again and then reseat the CPU. I had that happen to me once where the system would scream bloody murder whenever I would go over stock. Reseating fixed the problem.

Drop the memory back to 166mhz (5:6 ratio). That will remove the ram from the equation. Also give the chipset and HTT a tad more voltage. 1 setting above default should be ok.

One more thing: Did you reset the bios before installing the other ram? Were you overclocking at the time?

That fixed it. Thanks!

Gonna get the OC going again. :)