Sign in to follow this  
CrAsHnBuRnXp

Need some advice...

...on my overclock. I have my Opteron 165 running prime stable at 2.75GHz with no voltage increase on anything. Everthing is stock voltage. I upped it yesterday to 2.8GHz with no voltage increase and it failed after 2 minutes or so. I got into the bios and upped the Vcore from 1.35 to 1.4 and running dual prime for 10 hrs and one minute at 2.8GHz and one core failed on me. My question is this, if I were to keep it at 2.8GHz and all games and 3DMark went okay, would it be all right if I were to keep it at 2.8GHz even though it fails dual prime?

I am running ram at 150 and the timmings are 3-4-4-8.

Stepping is CCBBE 0610DPMW

Here is a screen shot of dual prime, Super pi and smart guardian. *I did not dual super PI* http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=opty165ocud7.jpg

My temps idle are still under 30C. With dual prime, they are a bit above 45C.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Guest Darkslayer
My question is this, if I were to keep it at 2.8GHz and all games and 3DMark went okay, would it be all right if I were to keep it at 2.8GHz even though it fails dual prime?

And the answer is... no. Failing Prime95 is usually a very good indicator that there is a weakness in the hardware, and either more voltage (not too much) is required, or it just can't do the speeds. Failure to get both cores Prime stable can lead to hardware breakdown that might not have happened if the equipment was setup correctly to begin with.

So, if you can't get it stable, rule #1 of overclocking: "Know when to quit". 2.75ghz @ stock voltage kicks a good amount of butt.

Soooo... in your quest, don't let the CPU temp exceed 55c (I don't know about core or motherboard temps - I wish someone could tell me:confused: ) and don't put more then 1.5v or so on unless you have heavy aftermarket cooling.

Good luck :)

meh, I'm gonna take another approach, to me 10hrs dual prime stable seems pretty good. OCDB is 8hr requirement. I rarely run rime longer than 9hrs.

Temps look pretty good. What sorta of CPU cooling are you using? I'd say bump the voltage some more and increase the clock speed, I don't think you've found it's max yet(if thats what your after) if not, 2.75 will prove just as good as 2.8. 8hrs+ stable at 2.75 with stock volts, certainly isn't bad.

I just suffer from the "need more speed" syndrome.

meh, I'm gonna take another approach, to me 10hrs dual prime stable seems pretty good. OCDB is 8hr requirement. I rarely run rime longer than 9hrs.

Temps look pretty good. What sorta of CPU cooling are you using? I'd say bump the voltage some more and increase the clock speed, I don't think you've found it's max yet(if thats what your after) if not, 2.75 will prove just as good as 2.8. 8hrs+ stable at 2.75 with stock volts, certainly isn't bad.

I just suffer from the "need more speed" syndrome.

Stock cooling. I normally would have ran it for 8hrs, but I was at work so it had to run until I got home.

I too, suffer from the same syndrome. I like to squeeze every last bit out of it. Seeing that 2.75 just does not look good to me. :( It screams out to me "MORE!"

Guest erico

I notice that you have not provided VDimm settings (DRAM Voltage). Had you considered bumping the voltage up a tad to test the results?

You are running your CPU well within the range deemed acceptable by AMD.

Raising your LDT volts to the next level might also provide the stability that you need for Prime95.

Guest erico
Soooo... in your quest, don't let the CPU temp exceed 55c (I don't know about core or motherboard temps - I wish someone could tell me:confused: ) and don't put more then 1.5v or so on unless you have heavy aftermarket cooling.

Good luck :)

There is a little program called CoreTemp that will give you the Max Case Temp for your CPU. Do a search in the forum or read AMD's own technical data sheets that give CPU specific information by OPN and revision number. There is your start..seek and ye shall find.

:)

Well now i got the OCZ Platinum ram. I have it in now and long story short, OCZ messed up and now I have both the Gold and Platinum series ram. (Neither are in at the same time. Gold is out, Plat. is in)

I have run into a problem now however. I cant seem to overclock at all. I have tried various OC's with the HTT at 3x and I even upped the Vcore to 1.4 and still cant get passed the option of Boot from CD:. (which does nto even show up because the computer reboots)

Suggestions please.

I'm sure gameplay should be fine, but the only way to tell is to try it. I was unstable @ 3.0 GHz within 15 minutes and had no problem running anything. Nonetheless I can bet you it's a memory timing causing the instability.