Opty 165 owners on air, what temps you getting

Kaxx

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just sent back a perfectly good processor. Those are normal temperature variations. A quick search would have resulted in hundreds of posts indicating this.

Edit: Good luck getting much more then 2750MHz with any 165 using the memory you have.

I am not sending it back I have lots of PC's I can use it in I just know where I can get CCBBE's from & figured I should buy another one whilst I still can.

I always buy a few chips just to pick the best one then all the rest go in work machines.

Yes I know there is a difference in core temps thats what I am doing on this forum.

I have just got the RAM as an upgrade from some OCZ PLAT Rev2 TCCD that I still have but I have not seen anyone else having problems getting 3GHZ on this ram I checked the 3GHZ club overclock database (prove me wrong I am all for learning)

I have just got the RAM as an upgrade from some OCZ PLAT Rev2 TCCD that I still have but I have not seen anyone else having problems getting 3GHZ on this ram I checked the 3GHZ club overclock database

The remaining inventory of DDRI available today does not clock as well as in the past. The type of chip nor the manufacturer makes any difference in this regard.

Since very few 165 processors will run with a high bus speed using any divider lower then 150, PC4000 is almost a necessity.

You might find one or two entries using PC3200 in combination with a 165 but most all will be with PC4000.

I was going to post a new thread but I suppose here is a better place

I don't know what is up with my Opty 165's temps, I can't seem to bring them down. I've attached a screenshot of speedfan when I was encoding an avi. I am on everything STOCK settings :eek:

On my last board (Abit Fatal1ty) I was getting idle temps of 40'c and load temps of over 50'c with a Zalman 9500 and AS5, i've since moved the Opty over to the system in my rig, lapped the IHS and Tuniq to a mirror finish and perfectly flat and i'm using coollabs liquid pro now... and what are my temps, 40'c idle, over 50'c load :mad: WTF is going on, its a better mobo, better cooler, better paste and the're lapped???? why have my temps not changed at all?

Its really been frustrating me for the last few months as I haven't been able to overclock at all with these temps. Oh and my Optys stepping is CCBWE 0550UPMW, I know, not great, but the've been known to get to at least 2.8Ghz...

I was going to post a new thread but I suppose here is a better place

I don't know what is up with my Opty 165's temps, I can't seem to bring them down. I've attached a screenshot of speedfan when I was encoding an avi. I am on everything STOCK settings :eek:

On my last board (Abit Fatal1ty) I was getting idle temps of 40'c and load temps of over 50'c with a Zalman 9500 and AS5, i've since moved the Opty over to the system in my rig, lapped the IHS and Tuniq to a mirror finish and perfectly flat and i'm using coollabs liquid pro now... and what are my temps, 40'c idle, over 50'c load :mad: WTF is going on, its a better mobo, better cooler, better paste and the're lapped???? why have my temps not changed at all?

Its really been frustrating me for the last few months as I haven't been able to overclock at all with these temps. Oh and my Optys stepping is CCBWE 0550UPMW, I know, not great, but the've been known to get to at least 2.8Ghz...

First of all, yeah you really oughtta post a new thread on this if it's still posing a problem. You should also post what your vcore is set to in your BIOS, obviously higher vcore will pose higher CPU temps. And are you sure your applying the proper amount of AS5?? Also, when I lapped my heatsink the first time, I actually had higher temps than before. So before I asked any questions, I disassembled it and took what I knew was a perfectly straightedge and slid it across the HSF thinking it wasn't perfectly true (You'll need to hold it up to a light and see if any light at all shows between the HSF and the straightedge, I'm sure there are other ways of doing this though). Sure enough, my HSF wasn't perfectly flat, thus not providing me a level area for true heat dissipation to the HSF.

I'd double check that first, then if that was OK I'd check the temps in BIOS (remember: these temps are usually at around an 80% load on the CPU so don't assume it's idle) and compare to temps in your windows software programs. Compare temps in Speedfan or whatever temp monitoring program your using to MBM5, Smartguardian, everest, and any other temp monitor programs you can find. Do some homework and try to narrow it down first since if you post a new thread on this you WILL get asked these questions pretty much instantly.....

I've got a thread on lapping a Heatsink (at least how I did it): HSF Lapping

ok i'll check to see if it is flat, what did you use as a straighedge? I mean I sanded on a sheet of glass on a level desk. I posted a thread about it over at OCN, you can see I made sure the sanding was even across the whole of the surface, if it was concave or convex the sanding would be uneven.

The only other option is to remove the IHS I guess, how easy is it to crack the core though, as this Tuniq is heavy and is already putting a lot of pressure on the mainboard. Also, what are the chances the temp sensors within the chip itself are faulty?

Like I said also, everythings at stock settings, including my CPU voltages (i.e. 1.35 VID @ 200x9) and i'm not using AS5 i'm using liquid pro, which I followed all the instructions for applying, leaving an almost transparent film of it on the CPU IHS.

I used a small ruler (machinist ruler, I "think" is what it's called). It's about 6 inches long x 1/2 inches wide by 1 mm thin (these are estimates). It really doesen't matter what you use, just be sure it's flat by flipping the ruler (or whatever you use) over and seeing if you get the exact same readings on the other side. It's possible to evenly sand but creating a convex surface by rocking it. I know, because I did it the first time. Judging by your pics it seems that you look pretty good, but it won't hurt to double check anyway witha straightedge.

I'd wait on removing the IHS, although you may have a poorly constructed CPU wheras they didn't apply enough thermal compound between the core and the IHS, or they did it half-a**ed, but that seems unlikely. It seems pretty hard to crack the core after removing the IHS, unless you just throw the HSF on un-carefully (is that a word??). Just be sure to tighten it evenly. I don't know how many screws your HSF uses, but if only only 2 you could do like me - spin the nuts (I bought new screws and bigger nuts for mine at Ace Hardware) freely until they just make contact with the plate, assure your plate is flat and do a half turn with 1 screw, then half turn the other. Repeat several times until you "feel" it's tight. My HSF barely moves when I try to twist it. Please don't blame me if you ruin it, this is just what I did and it worked fine. I could prolly actually tighten more, but my temps are great right now so I'll leave well enough alone.

I know nothing about your thermal compound, I just know AS5 works for me. Perhaps give it a try, it's only like $7 for several applications.

And finally, it's likely your temp sensors are faulty if all else fails. That's why I suggest not removing your IHS at first, but I guess since I forgot you Lapped your IHS your warranty is already voided. If you hadn't done that, "perhaps" they may RMA it for you. I'm not too sure about that though.

Keep trying, try everything first and let me know what your BIOS says your CPU Core temps state after 10 minutes of being in BIOS.

Edit: Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your temps. I may have to post another thread and see what everyone is getting on water and compare the 2. Perhaps I'll post a spreadsheet when all is done.....

Keep 'em coming!!

My temps are 32C idle, 55C load (2.9GHz, 1.312v)

This is an X2 3800+, though. CCB1E 0608 BPMW or something (not home right now so could be a letter/number wrong there)

Thanks Bruce, but I'm trying to compare Opty 165 trmps

Thanx anyway