Sign in to follow this  
iiee

Which one better - DDR400 CL2 vs DDR550 CL2.5

I just got my CPU claim. The replacement unit is 90nm (old one 130nm), yahoo~

I just got my RAM claim, Corsair 4000 no longer in stock so they give me 4400, sooooo lucky that they are the same model as my another pair. I have 4x512mb now. 2.5-4-4-8 at DDR 550

I have another pair, Kingston 2x1024mb 2-3-2-6 DDR 400

So if compare with same frequency, which one will offer best performance,

13 x 200.9 = 2612 @ CL2 1T or

9.5 x 275 = 2612 @ CL2.5 2T or

10.5 x 249 = 2614 @ CL2.5 1T ?

I can use benchmark programs to test, but real application may be different from these benchmark result. Please assist to decide which RAM combination to use.

Thank you~

Guest caffeinejunkie

Well first off A64s hate half step multis as to why I dont know but just stay away from them. As for the ram question it honestly doesnt matter. The move of the northbridge onto the chip itself (on-die memory controller) has rendered memory bandwidth moot to overall system performance leaving cpu speed king. Even going from 1t to 2t will only be noticeable in benchs and will hardly affect real world performance.

Better performance out of 2x1GB sticks over 4x512mb sticks which have to be run at CPC 2T i would have thought.

Logan

like logan said, 2x1Gb is better than 4x512 any day of the year, but if u wanna just compare the bandwidth frequency, the higher it is on 1T will yield better results regardless of the CAS Latency. and at 2.5vs2, there's no difference at all.

yii, how come some of my own replies in this thread are missing.

I have setup my system yesterday, new Corsair DDR550 4x512mb were not able to run stable at anything above 220mhz at 1T @ 2.74v, very strange as compared to previously I was able to run up to 255mhz 1T @ 2.74v(only 1 pair at orange slot). I have yet to test them 1 by 1 to see if any of the RAM is faulty.

Now running 2x1024mb Kingston, and the system is stable at 13.5 x 206mhz @1T. The reason i use half multiplier is because it crashed at 14x200 ... i have not much choice, the RAM is not stable at 2-3-2-6 1T above 210mhz.

FX55 2600mhz 90nm has no better overclocking potential compared to my old FX55 130nm , both ceiling at about 2780mhz.

I will stick to this 2x1024mb then~ the Corsair RAM will be used at my old P4 system.