Need help with non-DFI mobo troubleshooting

dfimonkey

Figure this is the only place I could post this, since its a non-DFI board.

I built my dad a AMD XP 2000+ system with a Abit NF7-S mobo about 3.5 years ago. For the past 3 mths, he has had random reboots and BSOD. I checked the memory dumps that Windows gives, but it never really helped. About a week ago the PC shutdown completely, and was unable to reboot. When its powered up, all the fans spin, but nothing post. No video, beeps, nothing. I switched out the PSU with a know working one, still nothing. I then removed everything from the case, reseated the motherboard. Still didnt work.

Recap of what I did

When system was working

- Checked Windows dump files whenever crash/BSOD

- Tested memory with Memtest about a month ago for about 12 hours, no errors

After system would not post

- Replaced Video Card with working card, will not post

- Swapped PSUs, will not post

- Removed everything, rebuilt system/reseated motherboard, still will not post

- Tried removing 1 stick of memory, no post

- Tried removing both sticks of memory, no post (can a system post without memory ?)

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Im debating on whether to build a new system for myself, and give him my old system. That would be the easiest solution, but im still curious what could be wrong with his system (bad mobo or cpu).

-

My best suggestion would be to go to Abit USA forums and look for some posts by a guy named Equito.

He had a fix for the problem you are describing.

Tmod

My best suggestion would be to go to Abit USA forums and look for some posts by a guy named Equito.

He had a fix for the problem you are describing.

Tmod

Thanks. Ill try to find that thread but the search function on Abit forums sucks :) It says that guy isnt a registered user when I search by user, but I do see some of his post when I search by key terms.