Instability when overclocking

mrowz0r

I'm only able to overclock my FSB to 220 mhz. I'm totally new to this (have read some of the guides stickied) but I'm wondering if the stock timing on my Memory has anything to do with it. When I purchased my 2nd stick of ram I didn't realize it was actually different than the first stick. This was about 2 years ago so there's no way I can return it.

My question I suppose is do I need new ram? Also wondering if the fact that I have no idea what my PSU is could be part of the problem. I'm considering getting a new one as I have heard that having a good PSU is critical to stable overclocking.

Also having issues when I try to overclock my RAM, it seems to get unstable real quick.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Street

….When I purchased my 2nd stick of ram I didn't realize it was actually different than the first stick. This was about 2 years ago so there's no way I can return it…My question I suppose is do I need new ram?....Also having issues when I try to overclock my RAM, it seems to get unstable real quick.
Get the same memory. Run memtest and test your memory with tests #5 and #8 for 15-20 passes each. Then do all tests for 20 passes.

Also wondering if the fact that I have no idea what my PSU is could be part of the problem. I'm considering getting a new one as I have heard that having a good PSU is critical to stable overclocking.
Stability starts here with stable volts. Get a quality PSU for stability. The Recommend PSU list is also good for your rig.

not good to run different sticks in that board and make sure you got them in slots 1 & 3 ( With the slow 3-4-4-8 stick as slot 1 and set the memory to 3-4-4-8) and do not use sata ports 1 & 2.(As you will not get past 235fsb with port 1 & 2). And your PSU dont be in a big hurry to change it just yet . As its not the hungry nf4 board

Mrowz0r,

Another thing, may I also suggest reading the following link. Even if you’re not planning to overclocking. The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide. Then re-read it you will be surprised how much more info you’ll pick up. It may seem overwhelming at first but it’s not that bad. Take your time, be patient and asking questions. Keep reading the posts and have fun.

Good luck.............we will be here for questions. :)

Ah! This is gonna take a bit more work than I initially thought. Looks like fun though. Quick question regarding my RAM before I try to do anything though.

If I move my slower RAM to the 1st slot and the faster to the 3rd slot (and set timing to 3-4-4-8) will this limit the stability problems that could come from that?

Also, should I be able to lower the timings on this RAM? I bought it because it was supposed to be overclockable.

Thanks again.

well its the only way its going to work. you always have to load the slow stick first. then your going to have to keep it on a divider and keep it real close to 200 when you start clocking.

Or better yet put the slow one in by itself and see how high it clocks. then take the faster on and run it at 3-4-4-8 and see how high that one clocks. then you will know about were to start looking for problems clocking

If they even run together

Better pray real hard that theres not hynix D-43 chips on there or d-5 for that mater