Questions about wireless routers and my bandwidth

Guest shaolin95_merged

you have several antena options with the simple purchase of a simple adapter....not sure if its bnc or what, but its fairly easy to find...you use a parabolic tv ant, or make 1 with a pringlke can and some copper wire......or get some tall ant.s from wally world....but there are several options out there...night

Guest shaolin95

THanks guys!

I finally bought it as the deal was to sweet....$19.99 plus my discound I ended up paying $18.xx for a brand new router :-)

You won't lose bandwidth or gain latency.

You will however, gain problems if you use the piece of . antenna that comes with the wifi card.

The computer is on the floor, the PCI cards are in the back on the bottom, the PC is usually up against something.. antennas don't receive signals well there, so get a real antenna for it.

Wireless for me has always been another problem. On some occasions, low signal. On many, high. Sometimes I knock the antenna over. It's another thing that can be screwed up, which is why I prefer to stay wired.

As to securing wireless modem/routers, the first thing I do to any ISP given router someone in the family gets is take the antenna off and put a book or something by the coaxial port. Too much time and anguish to tell them how to disable the wireless for someone who can't even follow the three step illustration on the poster sized piece of paper telling them how to plug it into the wall and into the computer.

I use the stock antenna and I haven't had problems. What would you replace it with, is it just a piece of metal?

@thasp and Septem

I used to ahve the same problem basicly the router was upstairs and i am downstairs in the basement surrounded by concrete I solved the problem with this it has 4.5ft cord that you plug in where you attach the regular antenna and that allows you to set it on top of the desk or anywere in the surrounding area for better reception.