I'm confused.... I thought I had decided, but now...?

snezzer

hey everyone. i'm building a new system. I am not computer newbie, but I AM new to overclocking, which I would like to try. Anyway, I had decided on these components, until I read some stuff online about the Intel C2D being faster the the X2s.

Any opinions on these choices below?

AMD x2 vs Intel C2D?

Would a different mobo be better?

Different video card? If I'm not going to go with 2 video cards right now, maybe I should just screw the SLI and go with a single card?

Any case/psu suggestions?

What do you think?

Processor: AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+ (2.4 GHz) Dual Core

mobo: DFI and the LANParty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G

Video Card: EVGA E-GEFORCE 7950 GT KO 560MHZ SLI video card (just 1 for now, hopefully another in the future)

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 HD

Ram: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12

OR

OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-5-4-15

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music 24BIT

PSU: unsure - any suggestions?

Case: unsure - any suggesions?

Also, an old IDE HD, floppy drive, and a DVD Writer.

C2D currently has the performance crown so you might just as well go W/ that

If you want blazing graphics you might as well go with an nVidia 8800GTX or 8800GTS; they are currently the best cards on the market and would smoke 2 7950s in SLI (except maybe the GX2s since they're dual GPU cards to begin with).

The Infinity 975X/G is currently the only C2D board in DFI's lineup; but the Lanparty UT ICFX3200-T2R/G should be released in the near future so that might be a good option (not sure if it will be hackable for SLi, as the 975X/G is).

As far as I understand the only real reason to go SLI is if your running a large widescreen monitor at some insane resolution. And your not willing to turn down the eye candy in games (if your a gamer).

What's your budget?

And snezzer you need sig ;)

While the C2D chips are faster, if you don't do much other than gaming you won't notice much of a speed difference, as gaming is far more gpu dependant than cpu.

Yes, but at the same time if you're buying a brand new system right now, it'd be kinda silly to get an AMD based one, unless you have a problem with Intel.

Travis just put up a great link to same game tests on an 8800GTX, and while some were identical others were very cpu dependent, and those showed even an underclocked E6300 Allendale outgunning a 5000+ AMD.

For the price, you really can't beat an Infinity + E6400, especially if you overclock.