Sign in to follow this  
Dr_Strangelove

Random Shut Downs - Long post - Need 2nd Opinion

So my pc has been experiencing random shut downs that are getting more and more frequent. I think it is the motherboard or CPU, but I would like a second opinion.

Here is what I have done so far:

-I have checked to see if it is a cooling issue, and it is not. (Using Watercooling on almost all components and nothing gets over 40c).

-Thought it was the PSU, but I doubt that as well. The shut downs happen totally randomly even when the PC is just sitting idle. Plus my power supply is PC Power and Cooling 850W model which should be just fine for what I am doing.

-Tested each Ram stick individually using Windows memtest and memtest86 without issues in slot A. With both sticks in the system, memtest throws a lot of errors even at stock speeds.

Specs:

DFI NF4 SLI DR Expert

Opteron 175

Mushkin Redline PC4000 2GB

BFG 7800GTX 512 SLI

X-FI Fatality

Raptors

850W Pc Power and Cooling

All on Watercooling Here is a Picture

Ok so here is the issue as it stands. I have just tested both sticks individually in SLOT A and they are fine. When I try to put one stick into SLOT B by itself the system will not give me video but starts up fine. If I put a stick in both SLOT A and SLOT B at the same time, the system boots fine.

Does this sound like a dead RAM slot on the motherboard or a Problem with the CPU's memory controller?

How can I be sure as it would be a real pain in the butt to take everything apart if it is not really the motherboard with the issue.

Guest erico
-Tested each Ram stick individually using Windows memtest and memtest86 without issues in slot A. With both sticks in the system, memtest throws a lot of errors even at stock speeds.

The only time I have run into anything similar with a system, I found the problem to be either the DDRAM memory timings or the DDRAM sticks themselves.

Can you post some of your GENIE BIOS settings for a clearer picture of the situation?

Have you tried raising the DRAM voltage a bit higher to see if the instability will go away? How much voltage are you putting into your chipset and the LDT?

Have you tried the long CMOS clear -->default settings --> single stick of DRAM a single stick of RAM in channel A method yet?

for DIMM channel by slot locations see your user manual for the diagram. It varies by motherboard

I'm not sure what A and B correspond to as for as slot position but Redlines should be installed in the orange slots on the Expert.

If you aren't MemTest stable, then there is not point even trying to boot to the OS. All you will end up doing is corrupting your install and making things much more complicated for yourself...

The link you are after for your Prime Stable settings is over here @ mushkin support forums. Your board is not exactly the same as the Lanparty Ultra-D / SLI-DR - but you should be able to work out what goes where and get close enough...

Back your PC off to stock (200/200). Enter the timings shown for DDR400. MemTest first with one stick, furthest orange from CPU. 10+ passes of tests 5&8. Then 20+ of all. Then try the other stick. If you pass, put both sticks in the orange slots and test together (10+ 5&8, 20+ all). If you are stable, boot to the OS and run a few of Praz's Stability tests, namely Prime95, OCCT and 3dMark. If that is the case, then i'd be pretty happy that your Memory is good, and your CPU is fine...

And if after you have tried the above sucessfully and you are still having random crashes check that your video card and the XFi Fatlity are not sharing the same IRQ this has been know to cause random crashes.

Thanks for all the responses so far guys. There is a lot of great advice there.

Erico: Yes I have tried raising the voltage without success. Will post Genie BIOS settings very shortly. No I have not tried to long CMOS clear.

Praz: I am referring to Slot A and B of the Orange RAM slots.

ganders75: working on your suggestion as we speak.

thefabe: I know about the Xfi IRQ problem and I really do not thing that is the issue here. The problem is getting more and more frequent so it has to be a faulty or getting faulty component.

Chip Set 1.56V

LDT 1.30V

Dram 2.79V

My timing settings were set to the reccomended Mushkin settings for the Expert, but I will test with the ones you posted for the non expert model as well.

You should be able to run these possibly as low as 2.6V. I'd be giving that a try before i went as high as you are. Then up it slightly if you find you're getting errors in MemTest..

Just remember that it's often the secondary timings which can be important. These boards are touchy with memory, none more so than the expert.

Ok, stick 1 has passed the suggested testing strategy without fault. Going to test stick 2 now and see what is what.

One question though, is it normal for the board not to boot with one stick if you put it in the wrong RAM slot?

What happens if you clear the CMOS for 10mins using only the CMOS jumper,

then place both sticks in orange slots.

Power the pc and run memtest as it is, all default settings?

And do you have all 3 power connectors plugged into the board?