Windows Sucks (file wont delete)

snugglealufacus

trying to delete this picture that failed to save. its on my desktop, and all i try do to is simply highlight it and hit the delete button on the KB.. but NOOOOO, M$ has to suck and give me an error saying "cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk." theres a pic of the error and the properties of this file at the bottom of this post. anyone know of any way to delete it? i tried safe mode and got the same error. i dont want to have to live with it!! lol, thanks for any help in advance.

picture of M$ at at its prime

Hey, this is not MS specific, it can happen in almost any file system. It happen to me in linux about 6 years ago. I mistakenly named a file with special characters in it. Those characters made linux think I was trying to run a command on top of the delete command.

Try some of these hints, the top one I didn't even know about:

http://www.petri.co.il/delete_undeletable_files.htm

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

highlight the file...then hold down the shift button and hit delete...

You may get a cannot delete error...usually do it twice and it's gone... also you may have to "explore" the file and manually delete everything in it... not hard...haven found a file yet I cant delete with either of the 2 ways...;)

Download a little program called Unlocker, it doesn't give a rats butt if Windows has the file locked or not.

Not sure about the other stuff everyone posted, but Unlocker is the best program out there to delete things that won't delete ;) It's super simple, even my wife and my kids (ages 3 years old and 2 months) know how to work it.

Anyways, here's the link if you haven't fixed the problem yet. http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

I have similar problem, when I am trying to delete some files they disappear on explorer window, but after refreshing it I can see the files on their place. If I try to open it system can not open them. Even more weird because the file is actually deleted, If I do reboot this file(s) is gone. The problem is that I reboot PC once in a week/month and it annoys me a lot.

• 1 year later...
I have similar problem, when I am trying to delete some files they disappear on explorer window, but after refreshing it I can see the files on their place. If I try to open it system can not open them. Even more weird because the file is actually deleted, If I do reboot this file(s) is gone. The problem is that I reboot PC once in a week/month and it annoys me a lot.

Where is your PC Specs? How can i help you if i don't know what you're running or even the OS? So you try deleting a file and it disappears, but when you refresh the window, its still there? hmm....

Where is your PC Specs? How can i help you if i don't know what you're running or even the OS? So you try deleting a file and it disappears, but when you refresh the window, its still there? hmm....

I'm gonna hazard a guess that he found a solution within the last year or so. ;)

That's alright. Some of the information appears that it may be useful for a problem I'm currently experiencing. I doubt I would have seen the original topic if you hadn't performed a NecroRecovery on the topic. ;)

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

It's because the file was named improperly and windows is really sensitive about that crap. I had it happen to me before so I moved all the content I wanted to keep out of that folder and deleted the whole folder. Try that.