Sign in to follow this  
james.pearce

Problems now with booting!

Hi All

Can someone help me out with a problem I've had please?

I got myself a new NF4 Inifinity motherboard yesterday and set up my PC with a new windows install. Everything worked fine until after about 4-5 hours of use! I'd just done a fairly large Windows update and restarted as normal except that my MB failed to boot! :confused:

What happened was the PC rebooted, the motherboard gave it's first beep and then displayed the Infinity logo screen. After that nothing happened - it just stayed on the logo screen. :mad:

I've tried clearing the BIOS and nothing has happened.. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Did you test those memory with Memtest?

Test useing Memtest, tests #5 and #8 for 15-20 passes each. Then do all tests for 20 passes.

Disable CPC to run 2T.

your diagnostic led are all "off" after have been "lightning" at boot?

if yes, it's not a problem with your hardware but with your software I think.

any other ideas ?

Pink.

EDIT : can you enter the bios ?

if yes, disable the logo screen.

try with only one ram too.

Guest erico

Follow TASR's memory stick testing advice.. It will be the best place to start.

Isolate then troubleshoot.

Murphy's Law Rules!

Thanks guys!

I've left the CMOS to do a LONG clear and will try again tonight following the instructions for the long CMOS clear. I'll let you know what happens!

Does this sound like a memory issue? I had this before with another motherboard which is why I switched to DFI.. If so, can anyone recommend a good memory module to buy that is compatible with this board?

These boards do not like 4 sticks at the best of times. Run MemTest86+ over each stick individually and then try both of the 2 stick, dual channel pairs. If stable, you can try adding all 4 sticks... Test as above with @tasr.

Thanks for your help guys!

I did a long CMOS clear (about 48hrs!) and now my system has started fine with only 1 512MB stick in slot 1. I'll try it now with the other 3 installed, but do you guys think it was a memory problem? If so, then I reckon it could be time to find myself some sticks of 1GB RAM!

DO like the others advised you and test one at a time and then in pairs then if they all pass then you can add the 4 off them....

Logan

The thing is running 4 sticks you wikk have to run in 2t command rate. it would be best to run 2 1gig sticks in a 1T command rate in dual channel