Ram Problems 2x512

Hey chaps, I have oc'ed my sempron 2600+ 1.6ghz to 2.5ghz... Everything is working fine apart from the fact my (cheapy) ram is showing as 512meg and i have 1gig. Both are working fine when i put one stick at a time, it says 512 under windows task manager and system boots fine. When i put both in it still says 512 even tho cpu-z says i have 1024. The only difference between the two rams is the CAS timing... one is 2.5 and one is 3. I tried changing the bios to use CAS 3 but it still shows only 512. I changed the slots they are in but nothing happens. The wierd thing is when i have the CAS 2.5 one in my oc goes from 2.5 to 2.6ghz :s

any ideas?!?! cheers for any help.

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=512xx7.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after you make a sig:D

do a cmos clear put the cas 3 stick in slot one. go into the bios and set the first 4 memory settings(3-4-8-4) then reboot. then turn off PC and put the secont stick in slot 3 and run memtest and see if it show 1024 memory and make sure you pass test 5 & 8

Sorry mate it was about 4am when i did that post, too tired to do a sig :) I tried what you said but memtest keeps saying i have just 512 :( I got the latest bios from the main dfi site, it was dated 2005 i think. Is there a newer one? The ram i am using corsair Valueselect VS512MB400C3 for the CAS3 and VS512MB400 for the CAS2.5. Btw i havnt updated the chipset drivers yet but that shouldnt make a difference? because ramtest dosnt even get the chance to load chipset drivers? cheers for help pal

well i can relate to the no sleep but if you dont make a sig your gonna get lots of time to sleep when they give you a week vacation for not compling to the rules:rolleyes:

haha lucky i got one now then... have you got any ideas what my problem could be? They are double banked memory sticks, does this make a difference? Its driving me mad! i only got this mobo to make my pooter faster and all its done is speed my proc and ruin my ram :(

Sorry for not helping with this post, but you are the first person around that I've seen successfully running a x1600 with this board.

Really?!?! they been a pain in the butt? I didnt have a single problem with mine :) but having 512 of system ram isnt much good.

Have you tried running Memtest on each stick individually?

(Just noticed your x1600 - yes, quite a few people have had bad luck in trying to get an x1600 to run in this board - myself included!)

Have you tried running Memtest on each stick individually?

(Just noticed your x1600 - yes, quite a few people have had bad luck in trying to get an x1600 to run in this board - myself included!)

Ah thats unlucky man, i think it seems the sapphire ones are the only ones that seem to work, lucky i payed a extra £5 for the sapphire because its the only one that gives thermal readings (i wonder if that has something to do with the problem everyone is having?!?). Ive done a memtest on both sticks, working fine :S

another fellow was having the same issue.i guess he was setting his AGP Aperture to like 512,upon putting it back to 128 the problem was fixed.i personally think if cpuz recognizes all your ram and your computer "feels" faster everything is good to go regardless of what windows or the bios displays.