Sign in to follow this  
DanNeely

boot problem, PSU hitting the wall?

Looks like my performance problem was core voltage after all. When I graphed the core temp I saw sharp enough spikes to suspect thermal throttling was occuring. A few back to back runs of sandra from an idle start were enough to confirm it. I started with the same clock/voltage settings as on my old board. I'm appearing stable at 1.45v/2.8gig at the moment and the same temps that my old board was doing at 2.65/2.9.

I'm assuming it was hitting the wall on power as well, and starving the CPU instead of my IDE drives while lieing to my monitoring software. I suppose it's possible that the overheating is due to my waterblock not being attached correctly, but since it screws down and I just reused the artic silver that was on it and the die from before I find that rather unlikely.

You just reused the AS that was already on it? I hope you don't mean that dried up residue that remains when you remove the block? If so dude, Um that is a baaad idea... You need to clean the existing gunk off, reapply new paste, reseat your HS/block and then allow it to cure...

Guest erico

That sounds as if you are using quite a bit of Thermal interface material. You only need a bead about the size of a grain of rice for the material to do it's job properly.You might want to watch your temps. Too much TIM and high voltages means many thermal cycles. I read that you did drop the voltage down to a reasonable value. Don't expect a long life out of your CPU..You have really been torturing the beast.

Buena Suerte

:)

My old 3800+ ran at this level for about a year before being retired to a lowstress stockair environment to run as a dedicated [email protected] crunchbox. I'm expecting 12-18mo of firstline use out of this one as well before giving it a similar retirement. I'm aiming for 12 (late fall 07), but needing new memory is going to add a few hundred to the upgrade price, and blowing a grand on a new PC might be an irreconcilable conflict with my buy a house plans for the same general timeframe. The state of DDR3 rollout might be an issue as well, I'm reluctant to invest in deadend ram, and if DDR3 is still horrificly expensive or AMD retakes the speed crown my buy might be delayed for that reason as well.

I don't think I overdid the AS application, although I suppose I can retry. The head of one of the waterblock screws is stripping out, and I'm reluctant to keep taking it on/off again and again.