boot problem, PSU hitting the wall?

I'm having intermittant boot freezes The 4 diagnostic led's light up then 3 turn off. My VGA bios displays it's splashscreen, and I get the successful post beep, then the bios splash shows and my system freezes. About half the time I'd hear one of the fans spinning up and down in speed. Dropping down to stock cpu voltages didn't help. Suspecting that the fan noise might be indicating a power problem I disconnected my optical drive and the one nonraid drive I had in the system (only one directly plugged into the mobo). Doing that allowed me to boot successfully. I was able to add the DVDRW drive back, and retain consistant booting, but bringing the last HD back online restarted the erratic boot problem.

My current PSU is an antec truepower2 550W, do I need to upgrade it to something larger and more powerful?

Yeah, it caught me by surprise. With my old abit board I was fine with 7HDs, 2 optical drives (vs 5/1), and one more 80mm fan than in my current config. My first thought is to go with a silverstone 750W modular PSU. Quad SLI connections and 12V8pin moboconnections should help futureproof me for a few years, and I want the anti spagetti factory explosion capability from being able to remove the extra wiring from my case entirely. The current timing stinks though.

speed fan's reporting 3.26, 5.00, 11.86v at full load, cpucore at 1.675v, but not OCed. All within spec but lower than with my old abit board. Also the system seems louder, which probably means the PSU fan has kicked up a notch.

My failed boots knocked a drive out of the raid, so I'm not doing any OC limit testing until the rebuild finishes. The preliminary OC results look like I'll be able to get at least 2975 vs 2900 for my old board, and with those numbers being handicapped by a faltering PSU I'm hoping to be able to get the 3gig point.

I'm probably going to leave it at 2900 until I get get the new PSU towards the end of the month unless I find any stability problems at that level. I could squeeze the PSU into this months budget, but I want to grab $30 or $40 of misc hardware from case-mods.com at the same time as I get the PSU.

Actually it is a surprise that your system will run well at all considering the DRAM mix you show in your signature.

Are you actually running 3GB Ram with mixed sizes and manufacturers and expecting it to be stable? You are kidding..right?

Try 2 GB with sticks same brand and size...Betcha it runs better.

Good luck

Hello,

Have you seen the above posts that mention about you VCORE voltage being to high and mixing memory?

Both are things that you should not ignore.

Use a match pair of memory.

And set your vcore voltage to AUTO.

At the moment, the older crucial sticks (2x512) aren't installed.

The vcore's at the level that I needed on my old board to be stable @ 2.9gig. WIth the 6th HD installed, I had booting problems even at stock voltage. With it out, I'm stable at my old OC even if my voltages are a little weak. I'm planning on holding off until the start of my next CC billing cycle before ordering the PSU unless I start seeing additional problems first.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, and I probably won't be able to run a synthetic benchmark to get hard performance numbers until tomorrow afternoon, but since the mobo upgrade, despite my CPU being identically clocked, my einstien@home workunits are taking ~2x as long to complete as before.