Sign in to follow this  
delemon

Lite-On SATA DVD @ Newegg

I just found this while searching on the Egg for something else. Lite-On SH-16A7S-06 SATA DVD burner for $36 (significantly less than the Plextor SATA). Anyone seen these yet or had any experience with one? I'd love to replace my current Lite-On (move it to another system) and would prefer to go SATA as that is my last legacy IDE device.

What's wrong with having CD/DVD on IDE? The way I see it, they won't use the speed of SATA, might as well save ports for hard drives which can actually take advantage of SATA.... But, if you must. Sounds like a good deal.

I have that drive and love it...I got it when they came out and were $25.00...

They need to be broken it...they seem alittle tight at 1st but after about 10 full dvd reads they start getting faster...I have seen mine peek at 15,800kb/s transfer rate..

I really like the sata part of it for the sake of using a thinner cable... I am not too concerned with using sata as I got 8 ports and only use 2....I wish they would come out with more sata burners and various drives and be price comparative...;)

Edit...ok I didnt read that link...thats a burner.... heck grab it... I was talking about the sata reader..I may have to look into a few of these now...;)

A lot of modern motherboards only have one IDE port, for two drives.

If you run two drives on the same IDE port, and both are being used at the same time, the performance goes to .. So if you have an IDE drive you want to use in a newer system, it very much makes sense to buy a SATA burner. :)

You can also get Samsung SATA DVD burners, which are meant to be awesome :D

Link...?

ya so for that price I am going to buy one right now just because I've always avoided SATA optical drives (the Plextor was an awful mess for a long time)

booyah!

I would get it so no IDE cable. Actually I would probably still have one because I got a nice HDD sitting around that uses IDE and I can't use it because I have my DVD-RW drive hooked up to he only port on my mobo.

well one of the cool things about the DFI Infinity 975X/G is that J-Micron External SATA port ;)

as well as I want to see if SATA optical drives still have the same crappy issues that the old Plextor SATA drive did (that was a combination of poor Plextor drive quality and horrible support on any chipset for anything EXCEPT SATA hdd's)

What issues were those H_G...

Got a rig that has 2 hard drives and 2 sata opticals and rippin and burnin have no issues...They seem to be a tad faster once broken on though...

What issues were those H_G...

Got a rig that has 2 hard drives and 2 sata opticals and rippin and burnin have no issues...They seem to be a tad faster once broken on though...

as I already described, many issues...i mean, does it take rocket science lvl4 to even begin to think about what kind of issues could come up?

no detection

random detection

lockups

not reading the disks

not burning disks

locking up during burning disks

these and many more for only $199.95! Call now, shipping and handling separate

Sign in to follow this