Gillette comes out with 5-blade razor

General Septem

It's called the Gillette Fusion.

Wtfbbq? I'll admit I like the Gillette Mach III, but five blades? I think the three bladed design is a good idea, it gives a good shave. But what are five blades going to do?

Sure, Schick came out with a 4-bladed design and Gillette had to outdo them. In addition to the five-blade main cutter array, there's also another blade on the back side for "precision work".

We actually got a free one in the mail. I'm about to give it a try and see just how much better it cuts than the Mach III turbo I'm currently using. But considering the price of the Mach III turbo cartridges, this thing better have every cute young lady in town begging to feel the side of my face, and even at that I'd be quicker to attribute it to my natural charm than a five-bladed razor.

Any thoughts? Sorry if I just pissed half of you Fusion users off. :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

been using mach 3 turbo for the last 3 years or so (no not the same one, but i always keep buying the same), and never really tried other brand. just becoz its doing a good job. period.

cartridge abit expensive, but for the price im getting a much smoother shave (and much painless) than a one-time blades pieceofcrap... i just couldnt get any lower.

but seems like i dont need any higher.

so if the fusion DOES shave at least the same or better than Mach3 FOR THE SAME PRICE, then i'll get one.... i could use that 1 blade at the back for cleaning up...

or else i wont bother.

Guest r3d c0m3t

Well, I myself also use Gillette razors, I'm currently using the M3 Power electric razor which in addition is used with Lectric Shave (oh my!) and leaves my face feeling like a baby's bottom (that's uber soft). Anyway, I see no use for five blades, three is more than enough for me.

Just another reason to make you believe more = better.

5 blades are good news for people like me with very sensitive faces! I get knicks/cuts using an electric razor. The mor blades, the closer they are together, the less irritation, and the less chance of a cut or knick (skin doesnt fit between the blades as easily) the Shick extreme 4 is about the only regular razor i can use, but it still makes my neck look like i shaved with a lawnmower depending on the weather/humidity.

Perhaps it has been out for a while but I've never heard of it. :P

Well I got curious, so I did the half-n-half test. I shaved one side of my face with a brand new Gillette Mach III Turbo, and the other side with the brand new Gillette Fusion.

I used a Gillette shaving cream on my entire face and hot but not burning water. I tested for two things: shave quality and irritation.

In terms of shave quality, I could see little or no difference between the two. If anything the Mach III Turbo performed better. I can feel more of an appreciable difference, however, and the side I used the M3T on feels smoother.

When it came to irritation, the M3T won hands down. Not only did the Fusion provide discomfort while shaving, but also burned a lot more when I applied Bay Rum aftershave to my face.

Next time I shave I will do the test again, this time switching sides to make sure the difference is in the razor and not just because I'm right-handed.

But hey if it works for you it works for you. Everyone's different, these are just my findings. I just think five blades is crazy. :D

I actually see a parallel between this and the whole multi-core thing, except I can see multiple cores being more useful than 4+ blades.

Honestly, shaving cream ITSELF irritates my face. It burns and causes razors to give me razorburn. I have the best shave using plain old Ivory Soap on my face with hot water, honestly.

Kroger sent me a free ... erm... "copy".... "demo"... erm... what's the word (too long in computers apparently, you don't get a "copy" of a product, you get the product itself... grr).. SAMPLE anyway, I got one from free through the mail from Kroger. The shave is smooth, but not so much smoother than the Mach 3 I use normally that I would pay any more than I already am shelling out for Mach 3 blades. I think the only difference in smoothness was because my Mach 3 blade is not brand new (I tend to use them too long). I cut myself with the trimming blade pretty bad too (oops).

Guest PP Mguire

Fusion has been out for a while now.

1 hot water is always better

2 the 3 Power sucks butt and dosent work

3 5 blades make your skin feel wierd to me, i stick with my 3 turbo. They do shave better though.

4 The trimming blade dosent work.