Sign in to follow this  
elessar777

Nforce ethernet Stopped working????

Hey guys. I've been pulling my hair out for the last 12 hours trying to get my network/boradband working. At first I thought I had stuffed something up within windows, after trying everything I could think of, I went and reinstalled a fresh copy of windows.

Still no go....so then I thought it was my modem/router. I reset it and reconfigured it.....still no go. windows would keep assigning an automatic IP address. I couldnt even connect to my router unless I configured the IP address manually, something i dont usually need to do.

finally I am only able to post this now thanks to the Marvel/Yukon network controller. thank god for the expert having two ethernet cards.

So this is working fine, but why wont the other one work?

Problems actually started with very slow connect speeds, then eventuall slowed to a halt! Is there something wrong with my ethernet/nforce controller? Is there some fix for this?

Any help appreciated.

this is more common than one may think, i just throw in a pci ethernet card to circumvent the inconvienence. in fact, i just slam a cheap realtec based $10 pci ethernet in my machines and forget about the onboard, done....

i have had one or two DFI's throw the onboard ethernet. if your board is still under warranty, you might want to consider an RMA.

baldy

elessar,

when you've got your ethernet cable connected to the nvidia lan, do you get the green status light? i.e. is the green light lit up?

if it is lit, once you are in windows and when you open up your network connections do you see the nvidia lan? and if you check the status of the device does it say it is working properly or otherwise?

i've read a few instances here where the nvidia onboard lan has pooped out and resulted in an RMA. you really have three options here;

1. if the nvidia lan is truly dead - and your board is still under warranty - you could return it for repair or replacement

2. if everything else is working great, you could follow baldy's advice and just throw in a cheap pci network card

3. if everything else is working great, you could just continue using the Marvell lan. there isn't much performance difference between the nvidia and marvell.

what does the nvidia lan do? is it basically a onboard mini hub? because i had a 4 port hub. 1 is the connection from my bros internet, 2 is going from the hub into my pc and the 3rd port has a cable going from the hub to the ps2 for online games. so take out the need for the ps2, could i basically use the 2nd port on the board for another pc if we wanted to game?

elessar,

when you've got your ethernet cable connected to the nvidia lan, do you get the green status light? i.e. is the green light lit up?

if it is lit, once you are in windows and when you open up your network connections do you see the nvidia lan? and if you check the status of the device does it say it is working properly or otherwise?

i've read a few instances here where the nvidia onboard lan has pooped out and resulted in an RMA. you really have three options here;

1. if the nvidia lan is truly dead - and your board is still under warranty - you could return it for repair or replacement

2. if everything else is working great, you could follow baldy's advice and just throw in a cheap pci network card

3. if everything else is working great, you could just continue using the Marvell lan. there isn't much performance difference between the nvidia and marvell.

I am not really interested in sending it back. too much hassle and it would leave me without a PC as I have no spare motherboard. Still not convinced it is completely dead, it might require a CMOS clear....who knows. I wonder if anyone else has had this issue with the expert. I wouldn't think overclocking would affect it as it's using the PCI bus which I haven't touched.

Marvell LAN is working fine atm.

I don't see why I should have to throw in a PCI slot ethernet card. The theory that on board is bad is rather old school IMO like the 1:1 memory divider thing. Thesedays even onboard sound isn't really bad, though I prefer to use an audigy. With two on board ethernet controllers I'm just glad one still works, but I have never noticed a performance gain turning off the on board elements.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, it SHOULD work, but it has crapped itself. First time I've had anything go wrong on this board, but then it's brand new!

I hope that was "our glitch for this mission" :-) Fingers crossed

PS Wevspot, yes lights come on but windows can't get a DHCP/auto assigned IP address, instead it assigns a private address which means it cant even communicate with the router/modem.

As soon as I plugged into the Marvell, hey presto, didnt need to change a thing....and to think I went and installed a fresh copy of windows......grrrrrrrr

I know this possibly does not solve or answer you're problems but a suggestion for you to consider is on you're network a switch is a wiser choice because cheap hubs usually create packet collisions where the switch is a more inteligent device and avoids that scenario! Especially if you have a router with minimal network connections on it as I think is you're case or else you would not be useing a hub. For future advice on you're choice for a networking device a Netgear GS108

Gigabit switch is extremely fast and works of of jumbo frame protocol which both the nvidea & Marvell nic support!

Another suggestion for you would be to take everything out of the equasion and hard line the ethernet cable directly from the cable or dsl modem to the Nvidea NIC then unplug the cable or Dsl modem for 10 minutes and shut down the pc..then after 10 minutes power up you're ISP modem and let that power up completely and then reboot you're pc and I think that you should have sucess! If that is the case there is a problem in between in the network more than likely the hub!!!