Child arrested for opening X-Mas present early

Angry_Games

I don't think that most people set out with the intention of being a bad parent! It's just that life has become so demanding money and time wise and both parents are forced to work these days to make ends meet and the kid goes unatended because both parental figures are out making money just to stay afloat. I think that if we as a country would stop sending our work to other country's and keep the work here our wage would go up and we could afford to buy American made products and the quality of life for every one would be better!

The answer to this and allot of problems have been quite apparent and ovbvious for years, increrase peoples wage and keep the work at home= more money and less time at work = more time to be around for you're family and raise you're children!

Once again the children suffer because of capitolistic greed!!!

Protectionism hurts far more people than it helps. Consider steel:

As part of NAFTA, each of the participating countries got to make an exemption for a particular industry to the free trade laws. Canada chose their entertainment industry and the US chose steel (I don't remember what any of the other countries chose). Steel production has historically been the protectionist industry of choice for the US.

The world market price of steel is quite low, much lower than what could sustain the American steel plants without protection. However, the US government puts a tariff on all imported steel to artificially raise the price so that American consumers of steel (such as the auto industry, but steel is also used in appliances, skyscrapers, the railroad, and surgical instruments, to name others) will "choose" American steel. OK, great, you've saved the steel industry and its accompanying jobs in the US.

But what about US automakers? They have to compete with foreign automakers that do not have to buy steel at artificially inflated prices. This means that foreign automakers are able to churn out cars more cheaply than American automakers. You've now artificially raised the cost (i.e. lowered the competitiveness) of every consumer of steel in America to try to save the steel industry. You've created a net loss for them. How is that good?

To put it another way, the left in America howls at the "high prices" of gasoline and prescription drugs, and lots of other stuff, and how they hurt the poor and all of that. Yet when people try to do things to lower prices on things lots of people buy (free trade agreements, Wal-Mart, cut regulations in the FDA, etc.), the left again starts howling about predatory pricing or job losses or the dangers of "underregulated" drug companies or whatever. Which is it? Either high prices hurt consumers or low prices hurt consumers. What the left is really saying is that they're for high prices in industries they like (steel, autos) and low prices in industries they hate (drugs, oil). That way madness lies.

This discussion is geared toward the "America first" mindset; it doesn't even touch the notion that free trade benefits poor workers in poor countries far better than year after year of "foreign aid" doled out by the US does.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Limits are the key to helping a kid become a happy adult if a kid cant trust a parent to say what they mean and mean what they say they can be crippled for life. It is a big part of developing trust if the child cant trust the parent they wont trust anyone or even trust the world and the poor kid is just being set up to go through life unhappy.

The parent that backs down because they dont want to be mean or "I love them too much" is often just a coward and to much of a child to be having one. I have seen spoiled brats become good people but a big part of that was that the parent was consistant even if not at all stern.

Dont worry about getting the cops called on you too much if it is your kids and it isnt just you takeing your frustrations out on them. The social workers have way too many real abusers for them too waste too much time over the little things.

Remember shaking a baby can kill them or worse, if you need help there are actualy tons of people that would love to help. One thing to realize though-kids are never easy all the time if they dont drive you crayz once in a wile you are probibily doing something wrong.

Very astute zkissane pretty rare to see that kind of understanding of economics but try to avoid religon here :)

You should try being the cop in situations like this. I was for 17 years. I have actually been called to a house because the parent wanted me to make their kid clean his room. I'm not going to rant about "back in my day" cuz it has all been said here. And, if you have not instilled some appreciation of consequences into a kid by about age 5, it's infinitely harder by the time they reach the age this kid in this article is.

What I see here is that now the kid is going to learn how lame calling the cops on kid that age is. The cops are not going to give this kid his well earned a55 beating and neither will social services. So, what the kid will learn here is that no one can really hurt him or put him in circumstances so bad, he will try to avoid them in the future. He will go into high school and his middle teens fearing nothing and no one.

I've told parents, usually single mothers that were physically threatened and inimidated by a young but growing son, BEAT HIS @#)($*&) A55 ! If they told me they were afraid, I told them to get a 2x4 or a bat, or whatever it took and to call me.

I had a supervisor on a call with me and the son, about 13 and much bigger than his (single and petite) mother, lunged at her. I slammed his hormone riddled butt in to a chair and my supervisor told him he was going to hold him down and let his mother beat his a55 if that is what it took. "Junior" calmed down a bit and we did not have to go back to that house.