BFG Tech 6800 GT OC Doesn't work in my rig anymore, 3 D-LEDs, Other vi

Hello everyone,

I've scoured the forums here and at some other sites, and this seems the best place to ask for help.

For over 1 year my rig ran... it worked, but occasionally had cold boot issues, I just attributed any crashes to the games I was playing. I decided to just never turn it off, since sometimes it would be hard to turn back on, I learned that switching off the PSU and letting her sit, to restart later, often worked. Last Thursday, Nov. 30, 2006, she didn't come back online. Switching on the computer, the case/cpu/psu fans spin up, however the video card stays dark and it's fan doesn't spin. The D-LED read 3... indicating the memory is not found.

After researching the cold boot issues, I saw some people got running by using a PCI video card... and when I tried booting with it I was able to get into Windows again. This all worked with the Fortron PSU and the 2GB of OCZ 3200, leading me to believe the problem is not with the memory, cpu, or psu. I immediately backed up my important files. After reading some more, I tried updating the BIOS to 04/06/2006 (the latest on the DFI site), to no new effect.

I thought I'd try a different PCI-e card, I found a PNY GeForce 7600 GS 512MB PCI-e. This was to rule out the slot being toasted, or some PCI-e communication problem. This card also worked... however upon installing it, I noted it did not require the additional PCI-e power connector (since it is a weaker card).

I tried my BFG Tech 6800 GT OC PCI-e in my roommate's computer, and it worked just fine. He has an ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe.

Hoping that my problems were PSU related, since the lower vid cards were working fine, I ordered one of the recommended ones, the OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W. I've been looking at this PSU for a while, since I am overdue for an upgrade, and the Fortron would likely not support SLI in this rig. It arrived today, and after I got it all hooked up, I put in my old BFG Tech 6800 GT OC, and it didn't even show a hint of light. Though switching back to the weaker 7600 GS got her into Windows, of course.

I read over the forums some more, looking for an answer, making sure that my memory and PSU were both on the recommended lists, and they are. I am 100% sure that all of the power connectors are attached to the motherboard, and were with both PSUs.

I don't know what is happening, and I intend to call DFI for RMA today. I just wanted to see what you guys thought before I tried that avenue.

Thank you very much for reading about my troubles, and especially for any advice on the matter. I don't even know if I'm still in the warranty period.

First off you shouldn't really post your deceptive practices for everyone to see [purchased with intent to return] it won't win you any friends on this site. Next I'm glad to see your bios flash was worked only you should never attempt a bios flash when your having boot issues with your system, When you orginaly built your systme did you follow the build guide? Reason is are all your power connetors plugged in on your board? All 4. 24 pin 4 pin molex and floppy? Guide link in my sig. It is possible if all the power is not plugged in your not getting enough power to the board for your 6800 gt. When you tried this card in your roommates system what board is in it? Check your power to the board 4 connectors.

I am sure that all 4 power connectors were in for both PSUs, I checked the Fortron when I was putting in the OCZ. It was working for quite a long time, and only now, the power doesn't seem to be making all the rounds. I have attempted to find other solutions, and with the plethora of people having cold start problems on boards like mine, it seems to me like the SLI-DR is the only thing left to fault.

Hello,

If everything works fine with the 7600GS, is it the board?

If you can clear the CMOS for 10mins

(move jumper 1-2, wait 10mins move jumper back to 2-3).

Then using 100% default settings/timings and the 7600GS, test the cold boot problem.

If it is not there, wouldn't that imply everything is ok?

Then once done,

What happens if you insert the 6800GT in the bottom PCIe slot?

4 power connectors =

- 24pin ATX

- +12v 4pin P4 connector

- Molex connector on top the chipset fan

- Molex connector under the CPU socket

If everything works fine with the 7600GS, is it the board?

Well, if the video card works no problem in another box, I don't see how it is powering itself down in my rig. (if there is a way, please advise)

I tried to prove it was not the board in several ways, despite the volume of people with DFI that have/had cold boot problems. There is nothing else I can think of doing, especially because, until recently, it was working.

Then using 100% default settings/timings and the 7600GS, test the cold boot problem.

I figured updating the BIOS and loading optimized defaults would be quite similar, since it hosed my RAID. (which recovered just fine once I enabled it again)

note: I have not overclocked anything on this machine, ever. I had not changed anything in the BIOS since building the computer a year ago.

What happens if you insert the 6800GT in the bottom PCIe slot?

It is as if the card is not there, and not plugged in, it just sits there, dark and quiet. (normally glows blue, and spins a noisy fan) (PCI-e power cable is attached to the card for sure)

Honestly, thanks for the input, I came here to ask you guys for help, and you're doing what you can.

Side note: It's scary how you only get one PCI slot if you want to run SLI with big cards on this board.

I've sent it out RMA, thanks to Donna. Here's hoping they can repro my issue, and locate the failure. Thinking on it, I just wish I had more big PCI-e cards to test before I sent it out.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll post the events here upon their conclusion.

I've just experienced the exact same thing today.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71429

I swapped an identical 7900gt into the MB and got the 3 leds with no video. put my original back in and getting the same symptoms.

I love this board when it is working correctly but damnit swapping an identical video card should be no problem at all.

So, I got my board back via UPS today!

I gently opened the box, and inside was my SLI-DR... though there was no packing slip, no repair invoice, no note from a tech. Hmm....

Remaining optimistic, I grabbed my pile of parts and reassembled them. I didn't bother hooking up the USB, in case it didn't work. I powered her up, and ... 3-red/no video. What did DFI do with this thing? Why did I pay 10$ to ship it to them? Why didn't they tell me anything?

robble got a new motherboard (ASUS), and his rig is more stable than ever now... I guess that is what I have to do to prove that this one is affected. I do not want to get another DFI board, but I am averse to losing my RAID... I am sorely disappointed in the way this has been handled.

If the board is out of warranty, and broken, why didn't they offer to have me pay for repairs? If it has been deemed "not broken" then what is happening in my rig, and what measures were used to test it? Hopefully Donna will give me some answers tomorrow.

ouch. I'm surprised you didn't find a paper stating what they did. maybe they didn't do anything hence no paper and the 3 leds still lit...

I need to RMA my DFI. sending e-mail to the address noted by RGone in a previous post.

• 2 weeks later...

After talking to Shawn in the RMA department, he told me that the board had tested out alright, but after walking me through some checks, told me that I should send it back in for more testing.

This time DFI let me use their UPS account number for the shipping, and my hopes were up again, as Shawn told me that once he tested the board they would send me a replacement.

There was no further communication and I sent an email (12/23) to see what was happening, since the tracking number showed the board as delivered. Shawn assured me via email (12/26) that he had gotten the board and would let me know what was up ASAP.

I sent another email (12/28) to see what was going on with no response. After all the holidays, I was back at work, and gave him a call (1/2) to see if he had an update. He called me back that day, to let me know the replacement would be arriving very soon. It was at my house when I got home from work (1/2). I was very happy.

I opened the box, and inside was a replacement board. I immediately noticed one problem... there was no Karajan audio module, I guess I was supposed to remove that before sending the other one back for testing. I was upset, but figured I could get a sound card, or ask DFI for the module off my other board, or even for a replacement one.

I installed the board carefully, leaving out my NIC, and not bothering with the USB plugs in the case there was a problem. After everything was in I told my girlfriend to cross her fingers, and when I flipped the switch on the PSU, the amber LED lit up. Then when I pressed the power button... nothing... I pressed it again... nothing.... the reset... nothing.... I tried the buttons on the board (those two near the switch/led connectors)... still nothing happened. I believed the board was DOA.