Upgraded the...crap...out of it, now it's slower!

venar303

I am totally and utterly dumb-founded.

anyone who read my sig. yesterday would have laughed in mocking derision of my 256mb of samsung no name ram.(pc 2100)

now, i've upgraded to 2- 1 gig sticks of gskill running at ddr2 667 (mobo prevents it from 800).

the initial latencies were terrible, but i changed them to 4-4-4-10, yet my computer lags in games when it didn't before.

it's actually kinda sad... :(

i'm sure there's some yes/no option in bios that i screwed up, so if anyone can think of a problem PLEASE tell me. thanks

Have you run memtest to ensure both sticks are okay?

Or Orthos Blend?

Not sure of the your board of course, but might want to ensure they're in dual-channel, and double check in Cpu-Z that 2 gigs are available.

they are in dual-channel, and both sticks show up in cpu-z. plus i've run super-pi 16M a few times. I haven't run memtest yet since I get online at the library(like now), but i'm downloading it and plan to use it.

i kinda thought if the mem was bad then the computer would crash, i didn't realize that could make it lag...

alrighty, it seems like the ram is fine, ran several passes of memtest then orthos for a few hours.

I'm wondering if the ram could be too fast for the processor. Theoretically, the highest effective ram speed would be 533, at a cpu FSB of 133 (i think), so maybe 667 is slowing it down?

what do you think?

Hi. As I understand this you replaced mobo, memory and CPU. So I have a few questions:

1. Did you reinstall OS?

2. If you did, try to install MS dual core patch.

3. What about new drivers?

And don`t take it personally, but that VGA you using is very weak.