Sign in to follow this  
kimahri626

Raptors

I have 4 x 36gb 10,000 rpm WD Raptors. The question is whether or not to keep them and setup and Raid 0 or sell them and purchase the 74 gig ones (2 of them) with 16mb cache and set them up in a raid 0.

Will there be a performance difference between the 4 x 36 and 2 x 74.

I'm asking becuase I have an opportunity to get the 74's with 16mb cache for 130, retail in box, never opened. Any help would be appreciated.

Well 4 drives in raid0 should give you more performance as you writing and reading from 4 drives at once instead of just two.

if you can live with the somewhat limited storage space 4x36 Gb gets you, keep the 4 and raid 0 them (make sure to get some decent airflow over them too)

if you can live with the somewhat limited storage space 4x36 Gb gets you, keep the 4 and raid 0 them (make sure to get some decent airflow over them too)

:confused: His other plan was use 2x 74 which gives almost the exact same ammt of space...

:confused: His other plan was use 2x 74 which gives almost the exact same ammt of space...

my comment was in refernce to selling them and getting another drive to replace them, not nessecarily the 2 x 74 drives.. sorry for the confusion

Personally....you could pocket a lot of money by selling them and getting 4 of something else (not Raptor).

Really doubt you'd notice much of a difference.

Otherwise I'd keep the 36GB ones.

Personally....you could pocket a lot of money by selling them and getting 4 of something else (not Raptor).

Really doubt you'd notice much of a difference.

Otherwise I'd keep the 36GB ones.

Yep, same thought.

With 4 drives striped in the same array your latencies will probably be slightly higher, along with your seek times going up slightly. But your I/O speeds will be twice that of a 2 drive striped array. But like the previous two posts said you will not notice the difference unless you do a lot of large file transfers.

Hmm, if you have 4 disks in raid 0 wouldn't that double the risk of losing your data over a 2 disk system in raid 0?

Sure it would. I hope hes got a storage drive and the 4x36GB Raptors are just a Windows/Programs array... I wouldnt put any "mission critical" data on there.

To technodanvan:

I was thinking about that too. I could sell these and buy some sata 3.0's to replace them. Raptors just seem to hold their value a bit better in the long run. (as the slowly drop in price)

To 4x0n & Polizei:

I have 3 x 250 gb hd's for any programs, files, important info, etc. These drives are used for a main os array and benchmarking and such. I hear ya tho, that would not be good if I had everything on these.

Sign in to follow this