Sign in to follow this  
sobepmp

Bottom mounted rad

I'm mounting a rad on the bottom of my case with 2 120mm fans sucking air into the case through the rad. I also have 2 80mm intake fans and 2 80mm outake fans in the case. I'm wondering if I can remove the 2 80mm intake fans without raising the case temps. I would still have 2 120mm intake on the rad plus the 2 80mm outake fans.

I want to do this because it would free up some space to mount my pump also I was thinking 2 80mm and 2 120mm intake with only 2 80mm outake fans might not be a good idea.

Whether case temps would rise or not is just something you would have to test. There are enough places on the case for any air the 2 X 80mm's can't get rid of to escape. As long as the flow across those components you want to keep cool is decent you shouldn't have any problems.

Fan filters aren't a bad idea on floor mounted radiators.. ;)

The drawback of having rad fans blow into the case is thew extra heat pushed into the case from them, as well as having to get rid if the extra airflow. Is there somewhere on the back of the case that you can replace with mesh? That should help get rid of the extra pressure. Or maybe you could just reverse the two 80mm intakes and see if that helps.

It not so much how mnay fans that yo uhave for intake/exhaust, you want to match the airflow of them.

Say you have 2x120mm fans, each blowing 60CFM. Thats 120CFM total.

Then say you have 4x80mm fans, each blowing 30CFM. Thats also 120CFM total. That would allow you to have the 2x120's for intake for the rad, and the 4x80's for exhaust. Ideally, you want a little more intake CFM than exhaust.

I personally wouldnt do that, I would have the 2x80's in the front intake, the rad 120s as intake, and the rear 2x80's as exhaust. Then again, I would cut a hole in the top of my case and mount the rad there, so the fans wouldnt be blowing hot air into the case, but venting the hot air out the top.

That's one of two ways to do it. If you want lower core temps, you need to have the fans blowing into the rad and have the hot air go into the case, which gives you higher system temps. But if you exhaust the system air through the rad you syustem temps will be lower, but your core temps will be higher as a result of the hotter air going through the rad,

The other option is to do an external mount, but that has it's own drawbacks, like longer tubing runs creating more resistance, etc...

Oh, and if you have a case that has separate internal sections, like some of the Lian Li's, then you can mount the rad in one section and the system in the other.

If the rad is mounted in the bottom, it wouldnt be drawing hot air... cold air is at the bottom of the case. The 2x80mm fans in the front would be blowing cool air towards the rad too, so the air going through the rad wouldnt be warm.

The air inside the case is going to be warmer than the air outside of it anytime. There may be a slight difference between the temp at the top of the case versus the bottom of the case, but either one would still be warmer that outside air.

Sign in to follow this