I think either my PSU or MB is dead?

Well, I have a problem with my main rig.

I had left my computer running F@H while I went out for the night. When I came home, the computer was shut down. Upon trying to restart, everything seems dead.

When I turn it on, the fans start running for maybe half a second, then stop. The error LED's lights up for half a second, then goes out. There is no beep code, or anyhting else happening.

I have tried clearing the CMOS (even a long clear overnight with the battery out). I have tried with a single stick or RAM in each slot, and tried taking everything out but the CPU. Despite the changes, when I try and power on, nothing different happens.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried removing plug from PSU overnight?

Have you tried jumping PSU? Be sure to search for instructions on proper jump procedure.

Something may have spiked you PSU or maybe it just died.

By your # of posts I am sure you know this stuff, just thought I'd mention them and bump your post.

Have you tried removing plug from PSU overnight?

Have you tried jumping PSU? Be sure to search for instructions on proper jump procedure.

Something may have spiked you PSU or maybe it just died.

By your # of posts I am sure you know this stuff, just thought I'd mention them and bump your post.

Actually, my post count is rather deceiving. I've had no problems until now, and mostly spam the off-topic forum. Thanks for the tips. I'll give this a try right now.

@tasr: Thanks for the links.

I've been left with many problems over the last years and the only thing i can tell you is try by TRIAL+ERROR. If you have money go and snag a PSU and try it, if nothing than return it. If you have anything at home that could help narrow down your issue use them. Sounds like something must of overheated or a a component just went bad. Good Luck.

P.S: I know it's frustrating when you don't get as many posts, trust me man sometimes i just don't even want to post and try things my way.

Well, here's an update to go with the title-change.

I had to jump-start my PSU, and now it is at least powering up (sort of).

I started with nothing in but the CPU, and got it running with a RAM error.

When I replaced the RAM, the RAM error remained. I got a single stick running in one slot past the RAM error. When I put in the second stick, it still went to the VGA error.

Now the problem is, everytime I plug in one of the power connections, the computer does the same thing as it did in my first post.

I can get things running again by unplugging the power connection to the graphics card (no need to jump-start the PSU again).

EDIT: Tried using a 4-pin to 6-pin adapter for one of the fan connections off of this PSU, and one from a different PSU. I think that somewhere through the VGA is shorting out my PSU. Any way to confirm this?

I have yet to use a multimeter but plan to try it someday. Sounds interesting. This PSU malfunction thing is a killer to trace down. Jumping will only tell you that it does run and is not dead, but doesn't tell you anything more. Something could be wrong with it (or not).

I personally think it is a life and time saver to have another good supply around to diagnose trouble. Look for a good, recommended PSU in the 600 to 700 range for $100 or less. I would say OCZ 700 so you can use it for future builds and not be dead ended. It seems like a waste but for guys like us who do things ourselves, it is something we need to keep from driving ourselves crazy at times like these.

The meter thing may be the way to go and may be less expensive, I just have never done it. Hope there is a better answer but I wouldn't hold my breath.