Memory Divider?

Kithylin

Okay, so after 2 days of screwing with settings, my opteron's not stable at 2400, only 2200, Fine, i can deal with it, But What i can't figure out is memory!

The only way i can get it to run the OS period and not fail anything, is if i put it down at 140mhz divider, which runs at 280mhz. It's 400mhz ram for pete's sake! it's running slow, it's un-nerving that i can't run it at 400! :sad:

if i put it at 150 divider, it won't even boot :confused:

Settings below, any recomendations? I know this ram can handle 480mhz and 2.9v, i have it at 2.8v to be safe, i've run it at 480mhz in another system for months, it can handle it, i just can't figure out which of the DRAM Configuration options is holding it back.

FSB Freq: 250mhz

LDT/FSB Freq: X 4.0

CPU/FSB Freq: 9.0

DREAM Frequency Set: 140 (DRAM/FSB:7/10)

all other memory settings are auto or disabled. Can someone please advise what i'm doing wrong ?

Okay, so after 2 days of screwing with settings, my opteron's not stable at 2400, only 2200, Fine, i can deal with it, But What i can't figure out is memory!

The only way i can get it to run the OS period and not fail anything, is if i put it down at 140mhz divider, which runs at 280mhz. It's 400mhz ram for pete's sake! it's running slow, it's un-nerving that i can't run it at 400! :sad:

if i put it at 150 divider, it won't even boot :confused:

Settings below, any recomendations? I know this ram can handle 480mhz and 2.9v, i have it at 2.8v to be safe, i've run it at 480mhz in another system for months, it can handle it, i just can't figure out which of the DRAM Configuration options is holding it back.

FSB Freq: 250mhz

LDT/FSB Freq: X 4.0

CPU/FSB Freq: 9.0

DREAM Frequency Set: 140 (DRAM/FSB:7/10)

all other memory settings are auto or disabled. Can someone please advise what i'm doing wrong ?

Didn't you post a successful overclock thread earlier? If so, why not kill this thread?:)

I thought it was, but it turned out that it had failed prime95 after 5 hours, i'm still tweaking it. And even stable, my ram's still massively under-clocked and i can't figure out why, i really don't like running it so far low :(

Can you post screenshots or photos of your GENIE BIOS settings?

Have you checked on what the VDimm range is for your RAM yet?

i can photo the bios settings tomorrow, after sleep, getting late here. as to vdimm, you mean voltages? check this thread in the morning, thanks anyway.

Yep. It is 1:30PM here. there is a 5 hour time difference. I am also a native Texan. Last place I lived in the US was Corpus Christi and I was born in San Antonio. Texas Rules!! :)

XMS3202v5.2 <=- ram part number

And i work 2nd shift 10 hour shifts, so i had gotten off work at 2am and just slept waaaay late til like 3pm :tooth: mmm weekend.

Trying to run it at 2477mhz settings again.. it doesn't crash in windows, just some programs don't work right, i know i can make this setting work, some how, just takes more tweaking. Cpu-z says memory is running at 177.1 (354.2). When i had this ram in my p4, i ran it clocked at 480mhz for about 8 months, at only 2.7v, corsair forums told me it's warranted by corsair up to 2.9v, though. just fustrating it's not in the 400-480 range :/

Guess photos come later, camera's out of batteries. Gonna run off to fry's and get some AS5 and grease cleaner, and batteries.

Holy smokes! Where to start?

I have read that Opterons don't like a mem divider below 150. Setting your tCL to 1.5 could be causing a problem. The stock timings for your memory is 3-3-3-8, according to the Corsair Web Site. This type of memory is not for overclocking or tight timings. All other settings on Auto is probably causing a problem. You're running 4 sticks of memory, that's a challenge in itself with Enthusiast memory, let alone these sticks.

You really have your work cut out for you. I'd advise you to go to the Corsair Forums and look for help there, though I didn't find much with a quick search. There is very little in the Stock Database here either.

Hrmm, well the memory divider where it is, is the only way i can get it to run an OS period at these settings, 150 or higher and it just won't even boot, as to the other timings, i'm not sure what most of em do, so i dunno atm. can't seem to find a guide on memory timings around here that explains what they all do yet either, and yes i've been searching.

OK. Actually just found the product sheet that says 2.5-3-3-6. I'd try just one stick in the orange slot furthest from the CPU with tCL 2.5, tRCD 3, tRAS 6, tRP 3, and everything else on Auto. See if it will boot. If it does, use A64 Info or A64 tweaker to see the other timings the board is setting. It may help.