Sign in to follow this  
THunDA

Corsair Nautilus500 External Water Cooling Kit Review

I just installed my Nautilus with a modded MCW60 for my 8800GTS on the line. Fluid out to cpu - gpu - then back to the pump. Idle smart guardian reading is 52-56, Core Temp reads Core 0 63/Core 1 60. GPU temp is at 44-46. Vcore on the cpu is at 1.5. I think I will mod my DD 939 or 478 block for the c2d. My modded block for the 8800gts seems to work just fine.

I'm ordered this set up tonight. Any suggestions on a Block for my north bridge on my Expert? This will be my first water cooler install. Ive been building PCs for a few years but never messed with water because I haven't over clocked much AND I was a little weary of installing it.You did a great job on the review. After reading this I'm confident I can install this product so I bought one!

Guest mori-kun

From what I have heard Zeldor....you dont really need to w/c your nf4 chip.....uneeded pipes

...plus you wont see any performance gains over the good o'l vc-re or thermalright 05.......im sticking with my vc-re.

I got mine for Christmas waiting for my vga block and stuff (I ordered this block because its cheaper and easyer to get than the Corsair block =__=)and stuff to arrive before i install it….wont come till the 3’rd ;_; ….will attempt a low volt mod on my gfx card when I get it up and running since its near its limit as it is ;_; with w/c i should be able to get it a bit higher.....it sucks that you cant unlock lines nor flash the bios of the new range =__=

Cool thanks for the responce. I already have the vc re on one of my boards and I have one sitting here brand new for my second system.

Hey, THunDA... how 'bout moving all those annoying windows out of the way for a peek at the desktop? :nod:

Just kidding. Great review!

Guest mori-kun

man...i just recieved my vga block today....its a little on the heavy side though...plus they shipped the wrong sized bard replacements =_=.

will the weight of the block be an issue? .....will i have to support my gfx card somehow?

man...i just recieved my vga block today....its a little on the heavy side though...plus they shipped the wrong sized bard replacements =_=.

will the weight of the block be an issue? .....will i have to support my gfx card somehow?

You got that DD block you mentioned a few posts up ?

I've seen many people use that block without any additional support for the card so you should be fine..

You got that DD block you mentioned a few posts up ?

I've seen many people use that block without any additional support for the card so you should be fine..

yep I use a DangerDen TDX AM2 block on my Nautilus unit (too much hassle trying to take the tubing off the corair block anytime i cut the tubes short to add/subtract into the loop)

Very good review ThunDa. I read all the "paid for" reviews of this kit and they made it sound real good. It's much better to read from a user that is actually living with the system and has taken the time to push it a little further.

I have considered trying water cooling, but a good DIY system is ~$250-300. Of all the kits, this one seems pretty decent.

Has anyone tried the DD MCT-5 or MCT-40 coolant?

This coolant seems to be based upon 3M's new fire fighting liquid. What I find very attractive is it's lower conductance compared to distilled water. Much less chance of something shorting out if a leak develops.

I also figured with this kit, that if it really didn't cool my cpu all that well, that I could use it for my vid card.

Very good review ThunDa. I read all the "paid for" reviews of this kit and they made it sound real good. It's much better to read from a user that is actually living with the system and has taken the time to push it a little further.
Thanks alot !

Ive been VERY happy with the performance of my Nautilus.. Its been running perfect since I hooked it up for this review..

Has anyone tried the DD MCT-5 or MCT-40 coolant?

This coolant seems to be based upon 3M's new fire fighting liquid. What I find very attractive is it's lower conductance compared to distilled water. Much less chance of something shorting out if a leak develops.

I use MCT-5 in my main rig which is cooled with DD components.. Its been setup since november 2005 and is still using the same MCT-5 that I used to fill it the first time..

I use MCT-5 in my main rig which is cooled with DD components.. Its been setup since november 2005 and is still using the same MCT-5 that I used to fill it the first time..

Wow.......that's a huge vote of confidence for that stuff!

I think I may be skulking around Newegg to see if the price drops any on the Nautilus. Even at it's current price, for the performance and ease of use, it's very good deal.

Thanks!

yep, when it only takes 15 - 20 minutes to install it and it gives reasonable (ie excellent) temps on even good sized overclocks (core2), then you realize it is a perfect fit for some.

a good DIY system will cost more, perform a little better (mostly up in the high-end range, and only then a little more than what the Nautilus can do), but will be quieter and more portable (though moving any water rig is a nightmare).

There's the goods and the bads, and both types of water setups have both goods and bads ;)

The Nautilus, for $150-ish, is a kick-butt buy if you don't mind the whine of the pump (plus you can add in gpu waterblocks to the loop)

Sign in to follow this