Corsair Nautilus500 External Water Cooling Kit Review

THunDA

I have bought the XP-90 with a panaflo, Vigor Monsoon II and the Nautilus 500. Of the three the Nautilus performed the best by a LARGE margin IMO. BUT, I started to get this annoying buzzing sound that seems to be comming from the pump after a few days of operation.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bought the XP-90 with a panaflo, Vigor Monsoon II and the Nautilus 500. Of the three the Nautilus performed the best by a LARGE margin IMO. BUT, I started to get this annoying buzzing sound that seems to be comming from the pump after a few days of operation.

I've noticed this a bit, but after taking the unit apart and inserting bits of motherboard backing (that foam thing that your mobo sits on when it is still in the box)around it, and putting a $26 Papst 120mm fan (one that DangerDen sent me) it goes away.

The slight buzzing comes and goes at times I think depending on if the unit is fully warmed up

I've noticed this a bit, but after taking the unit apart and inserting bits of motherboard backing (that foam thing that your mobo sits on when it is still in the box)around it, and putting a $26 Papst 120mm fan (one that DangerDen sent me) it goes away.

The slight buzzing comes and goes at times I think depending on if the unit is fully warmed up

Well mine is definatly the pump. The fan is pretty quiet but that pump is buzzing away and VERY annoying.:sad:

This makes me regret going the custom route. It was much harder to put together, a lot more expensive, I was missing parts at first that I needed to use certain blocks, I had no instructions that were worth a damn, and the temp difference is maybe 6-10c from this, tops.

Corsair did a nice job with this.

Well mine is definatly the pump. The fan is pretty quiet but that pump is buzzing away and VERY annoying.:sad:

That's exactly why I replaced it with air cooling which was quite and cool enough for my tastes (Tuniq 120), absolutely couldn't stand that sound.

My pump has adjustable speeds. It's 15v stock, so at 12v it isn't too noisy, it has an attenuator on it. It's already running below stock because there's no such thing as a 15v rail on a PSU.

Does the pump on the nautilus have a 12v connector on it to plug into a PSU on the inside of it? What power connector does it have? If it did, I'd use a 4 pin to 3 pin and plug it into a fan controller and see if it worked at 10v.. or less. It may make for an interesting mod. The noise differential doesn't seem to be linear with power on this pump, at certain spots a very tiny difference in the attenuator makes a big noise difference.

The pump I have(rebranded Laing D5 made by swiftech) has a nice stickypad that gets rid of the noise, and can be turned down. It's not noisy at all turned up. Turned down all the way, the thing is worse than aircooling. I find a good compromise to be having the pump turned almost all the way up, with the radiator in the window, and rad fans not on, or at 5v.

Dont them Opterons run hotter then most other 939 CPUs ? never had one But that to me seams kinda high temps for that vcore ?
As Happy said these temps are about right with my current configuration..

This cpu used to do 2800mhz with this vcore but out of no where it just wont do it no more.. Back when it did those speeds I had it in my main rig and it was loading at around 38-41c.. Now I cant give a fair comparrision since I cant recall the exact ambient temp but even so thats not far from my results with the Nautilus..

I might get gutsy and feed it a little more vcore to see what it does.. ;)

Hey Pat,

what does CoreTemp report?

Actually Ive never used that program..lol I'll go check it out now and post back some results.